Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft 190 1987 351 Indmar
Flange nut removal ??

My luck ran out today! Have bent props before but that was all until today. Got shaft, prop, and shaft mtg bracket. Everything is out but the shaft. Anyone one have the hot tip on getting the nut off the flange so I can get the shaft out? The clearance between nut and flange housing is so close I don't have a socket thin enough that will go in there. Got the locking carter key out but the nut is the problem. What am I not seeing?

Also where is the best place to get shaft and mtg bracket---?

Last edited by Dino Don; 05-27-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: ***'l info
Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
If it's a powerslot, there isn't room to get a standard socket in there. And if it's a big block, even less. Skidim sells a short 1.25" socket that has wrench flats machined on it, since there isn't enough room for a ratchet drive or breaker bar to turn it:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SYSSOCKET125

32MM is the same dimension as 1.25" and is more readily available as some auto manufacturers were using that size for oil filters. I was going to try and make something that would work, but to save time, just ordered one from Skidim.

Skidim can also help you out with the strut and the shaft, or point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Somewhere between SML and LKG