Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
What boat and what tower? What part broke?
MB Sports, not sure of tower brand but I believe it to be factory tower. He pulled front right leg from boat when tube went under water
Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
I call BS on your BS.

You had better post up some math to support your theories else it's all hogwash!!

It doesn't continue on it's path because there is an outside force effecting it... IE the boat moving forward!!
Ummmm, and how does the boat's force get transmitted magically to the tube?

(hint, through the tower). And what happens to each and every force?

This is HS level physics. Review Newton to start.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue View Post
MB Sports, not sure of tower brand but I believe it to be factory tower. He pulled front right leg from boat when tube went under water
So the mounting point on the boat failed and not the tower?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Correct.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
Sorry I call BS on this.

Tube rotating outward has rotational inertia, the acceleration felt by the rider is centripetal force which is paired with reactive centrifugal force which acts upon the tower.

If there was no lateral force on the tower, the tube would continue in a line per Newton's first law.

From a vector standpoint, the tube cannot exert a perpendicular pull to the axis of rotation, but that is not the point, the point is lateral (x/y) force on the tower, and such force is magnified directly by mass

And it's not just lateral force, even if you are just pulling in a direct forward direction, if you've ever slowed and then accelerated a large tube into a wave to catch air, there is a tremendous amount of energy being transferred to accelerate a mass with increasing resistance per the wave. We have a large bungy type rope to absorb some of the "yanking" that can happen. That kind of yanking (sudden deceleration/acceleration forces) are HUGE compared with pulling any kind of skier or wakeboarder.

None of this is to say that MC has not properly engineered the tower and attachment structure to absorb these forces, and again I note that my manual specifically says it's ok, but to argue that pulling a tube is the same or less force than a wakeboarder is to ignore physics.
After reading your point, I agree with your point. When a boat is making a consistent turn the tube will essentially be directly inline with the boat, and the force on the tower will be straight back.

When the boat eases out of the turn, the tube will continue alone it's arc from it's intertia rotating around the center of the tow point, and then begin to apply a lateral force on the tower. I did not account for that.

I don't pull a lot of tubes. I guess my point of the lateral force is a wakeboarder can apply a lateral force that is created from the angle of the board, where the tube can not. I forgot to see the tube can create a lateral force from the moment rotating around the axis it has from the boat.

I still stand by my original point. The danger of a tube vs a wakeboarder, is the wakeboarder is essentially limited by grip strength wheres as the tube can create massive forces, which are only limited by the breaking strength of the rope or the other weakest tensile connections.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 96 PS205
Well I'm no expert but-----to protect those I'm talking about I won't use names--
It was a BIG holiday weekend on the "jewel of Tennessee" (Norris) when I observed the big and bad NEW x-star on the lake. The person who brought it there was known to many as "one of" the "big wigs" of mastercraft-----And you won't believe what they were doing with the X-star that nobody even had at a dealership yet??!? Not wake boarding as I figured I'd see the "new star" in action.... No-- that bright yellow X-Star was towing a tube!!! And if memory serves me right there were Two tubes---if I'm wrong it was certainly two people on one tube...
Now prepare yourselves for this part!!! The rope was attached to the "Power TOWER"!!!!!!

My point you ask....???? If one of the guys who runs the show at MASTERCRAFT can tow a tube from a tower----I sure as heck can!!!!
(I just don't own a tower clad boat-----I own a SKI boat)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 x2
^^^^but it might be a bigger deal to you if your tower breaks then it is to a "bigwig" at mastercraft.to him it might be no big deal.........ive only been doing watersports a few years so I'm no expert but why would you want to tow the tube from the tower, more air?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '02 X-Star. Previous: '98 SportStar, '89 ProStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROUSSARD View Post
Dealers should tell you not to tow tubes period.
Preach!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft prostar 197 mcx
This tube (Radar galaxy) doesn't look susceptible to submarine-ing,know from experience that puts enough stress to rip cover off tube. It was attached to transom, adult stood up in front of tube. Thanks for input, I think I will try it-carefully.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
You know you got to hell for lying right?
Agreed, but I actually did tour their factory in 2010. They hooked me up with a bunch of tickets for a Bears game for my buddies and I while we were there too. Jim Schultz himself toured us around.