Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Tigé, 2150, 1997, Merc EFI
This is a few years ago and might have just been the build quality of the tower, but it sounds like he did tow tubes?
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1177592119
Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Exactly, when I am toed out on the edge while wakeboarding I pull the boat over to its side. When I whip a tube I barely feel it when its on the side.

This tube from tower thing has always bothered me that people say don't do it. It just doesn't make sense to me why you couldn't.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
A tube won't apply a force laterally away from the center of the boat but a wakeboarder can. Hence a wakeboarder can tip the boat.

This can be proven mathematically fairly easily if we make some assumptions but then again it's everyone's boat like I said.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAllen View Post
This is a few years ago and might have just been the build quality of the tower, but it sounds like he did tow tubes?
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1177592119
I read the thread and see nothing from the OP that says he pulled a tube. However, I see all kinds of people speculating as to what caused it.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyxc View Post
A tube won't apply a force laterally away from the center of the boat but a wakeboarder can. Hence a wakeboarder can tip the boat.

This can be proven mathematically fairly easily if we make some assumptions but then again it's everyone's boat like I said.
Sorry I call BS on this.

Tube rotating outward has rotational inertia, the acceleration felt by the rider is centripetal force which is paired with reactive centrifugal force which acts upon the tower.

If there was no lateral force on the tower, the tube would continue in a line per Newton's first law.

From a vector standpoint, the tube cannot exert a perpendicular pull to the axis of rotation, but that is not the point, the point is lateral (x/y) force on the tower, and such force is magnified directly by mass

And it's not just lateral force, even if you are just pulling in a direct forward direction, if you've ever slowed and then accelerated a large tube into a wave to catch air, there is a tremendous amount of energy being transferred to accelerate a mass with increasing resistance per the wave. We have a large bungy type rope to absorb some of the "yanking" that can happen. That kind of yanking (sudden deceleration/acceleration forces) are HUGE compared with pulling any kind of skier or wakeboarder.

None of this is to say that MC has not properly engineered the tower and attachment structure to absorb these forces, and again I note that my manual specifically says it's ok, but to argue that pulling a tube is the same or less force than a wakeboarder is to ignore physics.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
The question isn't whether or not there is more pressure laterally than centered behind the boat. The question was can you tow from your tower and anyone have any experience.

My answer: Yes you can. I do it all the time. I have never seen a MC tower break from tubing. If anyone can prove me wrong I would like to see it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
I have a 190 and pulling from the tower causes it to cavitate when the tube whips out to the side. Only when I have 2 or three people back there.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
Sorry I call BS on this.

Tube rotating outward has rotational inertia, the acceleration felt by the rider is centripetal force which is paired with reactive centrifugal force which acts upon the tower.

If there was no lateral force on the tower, the tube would continue in a line per Newton's first law.

From a vector standpoint, the tube cannot exert a perpendicular pull to the axis of rotation, but that is not the point, the point is lateral (x/y) force on the tower, and such force is magnified directly by mass

And it's not just lateral force, even if you are just pulling in a direct forward direction, if you've ever slowed and then accelerated a large tube into a wave to catch air, there is a tremendous amount of energy being transferred to accelerate a mass with increasing resistance per the wave. We have a large bungy type rope to absorb some of the "yanking" that can happen. That kind of yanking (sudden deceleration/acceleration forces) are HUGE compared with pulling any kind of skier or wakeboarder.

None of this is to say that MC has not properly engineered the tower and attachment structure to absorb these forces, and again I note that my manual specifically says it's ok, but to argue that pulling a tube is the same or less force than a wakeboarder is to ignore physics.
I call BS on your BS.

You had better post up some math to support your theories else it's all hogwash!!

It doesn't continue on it's path because there is an outside force effecting it... IE the boat moving forward!!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
Tubing ? If you plan on tubing alot , I recommend the Toobstar. The tower/
and boat was made to withstand the pressure. It's a custom order , your dealer can tell you more. Also there are some threads here.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2 View Post
Tubing ? If you plan on tubing alot , I recommend the Toobstar. The tower/
and boat was made to withstand the pressure. It's a custom order , your dealer can tell you more. Also there are some threads here.
I heard it comes with a mac book air or a HAL 9000 computer system?