Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Certain types of tubes will definitely exert more force on the tower than a wakeboarder.

The amount of force a wakeboarder will exhibit during wakeboarding will essentially be equal to the maximum grip strength the person has. There are exceptions of course, given that when the line goes slack the sudden force of the rope being taken up will create essentially an impact force on the tower.

As far as tubes, will a small tube exert more force than a wakeboarder? Probably not. But a large tube, with multiple people, during times when the rope slack is taken up OR especially if the front of the tube were to become submerged and drag in the water, that force will definitely more than a wakeboarder, and could exceed the design forces of the tower.

The height of the tower definitely creates a very large moment at the base of the tower.

Ultimately it's your boat, do as you please. I would never tow a tube from the tower.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
I dont think you can compare the stresses of a wakeboard to the stresses of a tube. The tube jumps around randomly and sometimes digs in, where as a wakeboard eases into a carve.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30
It may have been more common with older style tubes, but they can potentially have the front end dig into the water and then have massive amounts of water force suddenly occur like a big scoop or water parachute. I rarely pull a tube... but when I do it is attached to the pylon.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
I feel its a bad idea.

Have read you should not tow tubes from wake tower install instructions (from numerous manufacturers).

Your boat, your rules...
Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
These last few have made some good points. Especially about slack in the rope. With the right amount of weight you could do damage in a snag or slack.

I have noticed this risk while I pull anything I want from my tower. And I happen to not let things go beyond their limits. I have killed the fun on the tube because of a need to kill the throttle. My boats more important than their fun.

With that said. I feel all the warnings not to tube from your tower, are comparable to the warning to not do burnouts in your car or truck because you could lose control and crash. It means some people will take that risk to have some fun. But I've never crashed from a burnout. Nor has any tube(s) caused any damage.

I personally have the ski pylon removed from my boat. So its not an option.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
Ok, how about I toured the Gere Marie factory too, and they said not to tow tubes from the tower. Think they might be an authority on tower usage?
You know you go to hell for lying right?

Last edited by CantRepeat; 08-04-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
The last time I pulled a tube, the tube ended up going right through my wake and washed all 3 riders off the tube. Thankfully I was going very slow and in a turn as I had my ballast full. We were doing S-turns and turning back over our wake. Thankfully no one was hurt, just caught off guard.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM

OK, lets ask this question.

Who here has ever even seen a tower failure from towing a tube posted to the web. I'm not even asking if you personally know someone that has had a tower failure from towing a tube or that you have had a failure.

I'm asking if ANYONE has ever even read about an MC tower failure from towing a tube.

NO ONE!

The fact is, if it was a serious issue there would have been many failures and it would be common knowledge not to do it.

Hell, I'm being told it is unsafe by a guy that wakesurfs at night without a vest and calls me a fuddy duddy. How much bull crap is that?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
My brother-in-law broke his tower by pulling a tube
Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue View Post
My brother-in-law broke his tower by pulling a tube
What boat and what tower? What part broke?