Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:10 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeEatmon View Post
Thanks guys. Yes i am lucky. I had no idea until the bilge started shooting gas.

Problem found. 3 screws are missing out of the fuel sending unit. Boat had gas in the bottom from one end to the other. Pulled the mid plug, rear plug and flooded it with a water hose trying to flush out all of the gas and clean out the bilge pumps with some fresh water. Got most of the gas out but still some in the bottom of the v. Also just in front of the sending unit there is a large molded hole about the size of a can of soup. It is full of gas and that won't go away? Any idea what that hole is?
Who did the service on this boat?? They left screws out of the fuel pump sending unit? There needs to be a mechanic FIRED!!
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Who did the service on this boat?? They left screws out of the fuel pump sending unit? There needs to be a mechanic FIRED!!
Was it serviced by a dealer? If so, they need to be biatch-slapped into reality. This is a serious safety problem.

Can you post some photos of this?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:31 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Was it serviced by a dealer? If so, they need to be biatch-slapped into reality. This is a serious safety problem.

Can you post some photos of this?

Jim, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the filters on the bottom of these fuel pump units lifetime? IE don't need to be change as a regular service item?

What would they be doing inside the tank for normal service? I don't get it.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Traxx822's Avatar
Traxx822 Traxx822 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Location: Chicago SW sub
Posts: 2,367
Boat Explosion over memorial day <<< click link to watch video

THIS COULD HAVE BEEN YOU DUDE!!!!
__________________
When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - 11
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Geromy Geromy is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 2006 MC X-1
Location: Southeast SC
Posts: 10
Had a very similar issue this weekend. Filled the boat full and stopped by boat store to pick up o-ring for gas cap and noticed fluid leaking out of center drain. Sure enough it was gas and started to freak. Long story short, the pump bolts were loose. Tightened the bolts, filled the boat full of soap and water, and drained. It would be a good idea to check if you do smell a strong gas odor, just to be safe.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Jim, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the filters on the bottom of these fuel pump units lifetime? IE don't need to be change as a regular service item?

What would they be doing inside the tank for normal service? I don't get it.
Lifetime? No. Not at all. If enough non-gas stuff gets into the tank, they need to be changed. That includes water. Also, the fact that you asked this last question means you need to read about the fuel pump issues that are caused by water and ethanol in the gas and running out of gas. These pumps need to be immersed in gas when they're operating because the gas cools the pump. Don't run out- it may work for a while after, but not for long- this applies to cars & trucks, too.

If you make sure to keep crap out of the gas, the filter will last for quite a while but since there's no way to do this (even gas stations can't guarantee clean gas), the filter needs to be changed occasionally. It's possible that the pump or filter needed to be replaced, but the person doing the work forgot to finish, was called away and the boat was released to the customer by someone who didn't bother to make sure it was done, maybe the customer caused them to rush the job or maybe it was done by someone other than the dealer and they didn't bother to tell the dealer about it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 AM
76S&S's Avatar
76S&S 76S&S is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Boat: 2002 X Star
Location: At the lake or on the way to the lake!
Posts: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeEatmon View Post
Thanks guys. Yes i am lucky. I had no idea until the bilge started shooting gas.

Problem found. 3 screws are missing out of the fuel sending unit. Boat had gas in the bottom from one end to the other. Pulled the mid plug, rear plug and flooded it with a water hose trying to flush out all of the gas and clean out the bilge pumps with some fresh water. Got most of the gas out but still some in the bottom of the v. Also just in front of the sending unit there is a large molded hole about the size of a can of soup. It is full of gas and that won't go away? Any idea what that hole is?
I don't know what the hole is, but if you can get the hose to it and fill it with water, it will flush the gas out.
__________________
Being on the water is best, but when I'm not on the water I'm on TT.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
I don't know what the hole is, but if you can get the hose to it and fill it with water, it will flush the gas out.
I think I would hold off on using water near the gas tank until I was sure it's well-sealed.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Lifetime? No. Not at all. If enough non-gas stuff gets into the tank, they need to be changed. That includes water. Also, the fact that you asked this last question means you need to read about the fuel pump issues that are caused by water and ethanol in the gas and running out of gas. These pumps need to be immersed in gas when they're operating because the gas cools the pump. Don't run out- it may work for a while after, but not for long- this applies to cars & trucks, too.

If you make sure to keep crap out of the gas, the filter will last for quite a while but since there's no way to do this (even gas stations can't guarantee clean gas), the filter needs to be changed occasionally. It's possible that the pump or filter needed to be replaced, but the person doing the work forgot to finish, was called away and the boat was released to the customer by someone who didn't bother to make sure it was done, maybe the customer caused them to rush the job or maybe it was done by someone other than the dealer and they didn't bother to tell the dealer about it.
I'm well aware of the fuel pump issue and low gas. I know all in tank pumps are cooled by the gas around them. I very aware of what ethanol does to the gas, the hoses and the rest of the fuel system. I don't need to read about it again. You made an extremely poor assumption about my knowledge.

When I said lifetime, I meant in the aspect unless something clogs them up they will filter for a long, long time. In fact, it's to the point that I'm sure there are lots of boats running these pumps and filter canisters that have never been changed. I've never read where they were a regular scheduled maintenance item. When you say if "enough" crap passes through them they need to change. Indeed they do but it's not something you schedule. More so on a boat that is less then 2 years old so if he wasn't having fuel issues then there surely is no need to replace it.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I'm well aware of the fuel pump issue and low gas. I know all in tank pumps are cooled by the gas around them. I very aware of what ethanol does to the gas, the hoses and the rest of the fuel system. I don't need to read about it again. You made an extremely poor assumption about my knowledge.

When I said lifetime, I meant in the aspect unless something clogs them up they will filter for a long, long time. In fact, it's to the point that I'm sure there are lots of boats running these pumps and filter canisters that have never been changed. I've never read where they were a regular scheduled maintenance item. When you say if "enough" crap passes through them they need to change. Indeed they do but it's not something you schedule. More so on a boat that is less then 2 years old so if he wasn't having fuel issues then there surely is no need to replace it.
Fortunately, the fuel lines were required to be able to withstand a lot more than bad gas and water- the line itself is Teflon and should never need replacement unless it's damaged by a screw, cut or something like that. It has at least one layer of fiberglass mesh and another of stainless braid, with the orange flame-proof cover.

The problem with not changing it in regular maintenance is that there's a fine line between "running great" and not running at all, WRT the filter element becoming clogged because the minimum particle size that's passable is very small. I don't know what the dealer techs are being taught, but it's the dealer's responsibility to teach the boat buyers what will be required if their new (or even used) boat is to be expected to operate as designed. If they're just taking peoples' money, patting the boat on the azz and wishing well, they should do something else for a living.

The sad fact is, people rarely, if ever, read more than a few pages of their owner's manual. If they see a few things they already know, they toss it aside and come to the conclusion that it was written for noobs and that it doesn't apply to them. I would hope there's a lot of info that can make a long-time boat owner say "I didn't know that" in any manual that comes with a boat or other product of this price. If boat owners don't read the section for regularly scheduled maintenance and at least attempt to come close to meeting it, they're asking for trouble. When the in-tank pump was introduced, the filter was supposed to be changed after 100 hours. We could probably count on three fingers to see the number of filters that were replaced by boat owners in that time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 AM.