Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Unusual Damage, affect value?

Hello my friends,

So I have been on a search for something bigger than my Tristar, with not much luck. I came across this '02 X7. I spoke with the owner on the phone, and have scheduled a visit tommorrow to check it out (2 hour drive). In the c.l. ad they stated that it needs a new "brain" because some of the gauges are inop. They were thinking from memory that the hours gauge, the speedo, and something else didn't work. I asked if they priced it, and they said $1400.00 for the ecu. Now the kicker. The ad stated that the boat needed a "new tow ball" on the tower. Apparently she hit a bridge and broke off the tow ball on the tower. She said that there was a slight bend in the tower, but the ball was basically broken off. She still has the ball, and srhe told me she asked a shop and they said it could be welded back on?????? Ayone ever heard of damage like this, and what are opinions if this could be safely repaired to board behind?? No perfect pass or cruise, it does have a fat sack under the rear bench, petty good stereo, and only 176 hours. Checkout the ad, looking for any and all opinions. What would ya pay, if any, considering the damage. I am fairly mechanical, so not a deal breaker....NADA value was approx 19K

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/3826584285.html
Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 PS 197
Not sure you will gain room with the X7/197. As far as the gauges go this is what you need http://www.waterskis.com/508062-p/ma..._box_02_04.htm

I would give the boat a real good look over if they hit a bridge hard enough to break and bend tower. Look for cracks and weld breaks with tower. All areas the tower connects to boat look for damage
Old 05-25-2013, 11:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
The top of that tower is bent. It should be straight across, not bent backwards. I would bet it will be hard to fold due to misalignment from the impact. Check for cracks in the tower and the gelcoat around the Mount points

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 PM
MC Fanatic

If we go, I definitely plan on checking the tower out very closely; especially the attach points on the hull. I would imagine if the impact was substantial enough, if would surely create spider cracks on the gel where the tower is connected. I realize it won't be much bigger than my Tristar 190 closed bow, but bigger none the less. Anybody seen the wake in an X7? What would be a good negotiating price with the obvious issues at hand? Thanks for the link on the computer....1400 was probably a shop estimate
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
Hello my friends,

So I have been on a search for something bigger than my Tristar, with not much luck. I came across this '02 X7. I spoke with the owner on the phone, and have scheduled a visit tommorrow to check it out (2 hour drive). In the c.l. ad they stated that it needs a new "brain" because some of the gauges are inop. They were thinking from memory that the hours gauge, the speedo, and something else didn't work. I asked if they priced it, and they said $1400.00 for the ecu. Now the kicker. The ad stated that the boat needed a "new tow ball" on the tower. Apparently she hit a bridge and broke off the tow ball on the tower. She said that there was a slight bend in the tower, but the ball was basically broken off. She still has the ball, and srhe told me she asked a shop and they said it could be welded back on?????? Ayone ever heard of damage like this, and what are opinions if this could be safely repaired to board behind?? No perfect pass or cruise, it does have a fat sack under the rear bench, petty good stereo, and only 176 hours. Checkout the ad, looking for any and all opinions. What would ya pay, if any, considering the damage. I am fairly mechanical, so not a deal breaker....NADA value was approx 19K

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/3826584285.html
Do a complete marine survey- it will save you money in the long run and it might make you not buy it, if enough problems are found. It does look clean, although the bare aluminum on the black plenum looks corroded. Was it run in salt water?

Call around for the MDU box for the gauges- that sounds high. If that price includes a bunch of new gauges, it may be an OK price.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Is it possible to get a new "OEM" MasterCraft tower to replace? Not some off brand like monster...price? Can you get a newer style OEM from MC?
Old 05-26-2013, 12:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
Is it possible to get a new "OEM" MasterCraft tower to replace? Not some off brand like monster...price? Can you get a newer style OEM from MC?
You can get that tower from new dimension, but a lot of people have had problems with their customer service lately

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Bump.
I'm guessing new tower + likely hull / glass damage + bad gauges = non boater who has a boat with significant other problems....
But if not, you might be able to make a real sweet deal on a completed project. I'd love to hear how this played out.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Do a complete marine survey- it will save you money in the long run and it might make you not buy it, if enough problems are found. It does look clean, although the bare aluminum on the black plenum looks corroded. Was it run in salt water?

Call around for the MDU box for the gauges- that sounds high. If that price includes a bunch of new gauges, it may be an OK price.
Thought the same thing about saltwater use seeing that plenum. As others have said, get it to a m/c dealer for a owner transfer inspection. Usually ~ $250 and they have a very thorough multipoint inspection including verifying compression, ecu hours, etc. Have them give you their judgement as to saltwater use as well.

You need a medallion guage box and at least the upper tower section so have them include replacing these (and anything else found in the quote). That will get you in an educated bargaining position on price. If you are a DIYer, contact new demension and get cost of replacement tower as bare minimum outlay + $600 for the medallion as these can be easily done by someone without any specific boat repair skills. Structural damage is another issue....
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks to all who replied. After much oscillation, I decided to pass....the main reasons are not because of the damage etc, because overall it is a pretty clean boat. I just don't want to spend my Summer fixing up yet another boat.....and one that is barely bigger than my current "former project" now descent Tristar. I now have my eyes on an '03 X-10.....the upgrade search continues....