Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Separate and Panicking

That should read desperate and panicking. stupid ipad.

Got my boat back from the mechanic and the second he started it I knew it was not right. It did not sound right and it smoked. There has never been a puff of smoke from that boat. Black smoke pours out of the exhaust and the motor sounds like it is missing big time. He rebuilt the carb, put new plugs in, changed the distributor cap and put a new belt on.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could the plug wires be out of order? I could not sleep all night over this. A friend of mine is going to Birmingham this afternoon and has offered to take it to Rambo but I would love to have a better idea of what has happened.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmcnair View Post
That should read desperate and panicking. stupid ipad.

Got my boat back from the mechanic and the second he started it I knew it was not right. It did not sound right and it smoked. There has never been a puff of smoke from that boat. Black smoke pours out of the exhaust and the motor sounds like it is missing big time. He rebuilt the carb, put new plugs in, changed the distributor cap and put a new belt on.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could the plug wires be out of order? I could not sleep all night over this. A friend of mine is going to Birmingham this afternoon and has offered to take it to Rambo but I would love to have a better idea of what has happened.
I would check the firing order- it should be on the intake manifold (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8).

If it's not too far, they need to get this one back so they can make it right.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
I usually only give someone one chance. It is at Rambo Marine now. They will get it taken care of. Based on my research I think that is the problem. Thank you for the reply.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmcnair View Post
I usually only give someone one chance. It is at Rambo Marine now. They will get it taken care of. Based on my research I think that is the problem. Thank you for the reply.
OK, but you paid them to do it right and if they have to work on boats and not get paid because it wasn't done right, it's a good learning experience for them. If it was one person's fault because they assumed it would run well and they didn't bother to try it, they need to know that someone is dropping the ball. If it was a group effort, it would be time to get the owner involved. There are many ways for this to happen and if the mechanic cares about their reputation, they need to step up.

To be honest, it's impossible to do this stuff perfectly, but it is possible to be dam good.