Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-18-2013, 01:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Well, been out twice this year now and been dunking the trailer quite a bit deeper. Now the process for us is: back trailer in up to bottom of v-bunk, idle on to bunks, hook up and winch into position, pull out just enough for boat to be fully on bunks and see if safety bar will hook up with winch strap off, if so hook up and done, if not - dunk boat again and adjust to get safety bar to be just right (that part is a pain as I can't get it on with winch strap on and if I take it off in the water the boat slides back on the trailer too far)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnsx View Post
This is off the MN DNR website.

The DNR recognizes that some boaters are accustomed to power loading. However, it is preferable that boaters do not race their engines while on the boat ramp. Slightly more than idle speed should be all that is necessary to load and/or unload the boat.

I can load my 2008 X2 all the way to the latch without using any more than idle power. See video.
jd, what brand of a bow eye "hook" is that on your trailer? I have a boat buddy on mine that needs replacing, but I think I like the one you have better. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 Prostar and 08 X2
Well, it is called a Ramp-N-Clamp but it is not quite on the market yet.

I was tired of the Boat Buddy problems so I designed a new latch. I have met with MasterCraft now 4 times since November 2012 and they wanted a few revisions to meet their standard.

The testing is currently going on with all the new 2014 models and with some luck the Ramp-N-Clamp will be an option starting July 1, 2013.

I will be posting here when it is ready for sale and of course TT members will be getting first dibs and a TT discount.

Thanks for asking!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Ski Nautique
Hi all - I'm a CC owner but have been lurking here for quite a while. This thread has me intrigued... what is the bar setup on MC trailers? Can you point me to some better pics and describe how it is supposed to work?
Thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Jeff, see post #35. That shows the safety bar on my Tristar. You load the boat far enough for that to slip over the eyelet and then it holds the boat from going forward and back.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

just get a boat buddy. i idle up till it clicks and away i go...
Old 06-20-2013, 02:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
If I dropped my trailer in deep enough that my V was in the water my guide polls would be underwater!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
If I dropped my trailer in deep enough that my V was in the water my guide polls would be underwater!
That is why you should have the sliding guide pole pads that float up for jus that reason. They float up and so you have guide poles that lengthen as the trailer gets deeper.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
Jeff, see post #35. That shows the safety bar on my Tristar. You load the boat far enough for that to slip over the eyelet and then it holds the boat from going forward and back.
OK thanks Homer. Doesn't it rub or bang against the underside? Does it have padding on it? Is it to help you when loading? I don't see how it would stay in place until you put your hook in the eye, or how it would help that much.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
Anyone figure out how to successfully float on for this kind of trailer? Last time I was out the boat broke down and I had to float it on but it was a 10 minute process. Once on dry land I had to slam the brakes on so it would slide up onto the guides correctly. I don't mind powering it on and I have yet to get in trouble but I always get looks from people.

Yes I know I am missing a guide in this picture ha ha...