Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
Here is a video I did this past weekend of me and my brother loading the 84 S & S. As you can see the trailer is very deep. You can hardly see the top corners of the V-bunk sticking up. It was a little difficult to drive with one hand while filming with the other. In either event, you can see that I did not need any power to get the bar hooked and my brother simply pulls the boat forward by hand until the bar goes over the front u bolt. Then he hooks the winch and leaves it loose to pull the boat out of the water. Once out of the water we tighten the winch strap. Again, not sure this will work for all models, but if you can get your v-bunk deep enough, your u bolt should never hang up on the bunk. Sorry for the poor video quality.

Hope the link works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RELMsxdzM-w
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 84 Correct Craft S&S
That's great! THANKS! your ramp is much flatter than mine, but clearly I'm not putting the trailer deep into the water enough. My truck tires are hardly in the water whereas I can see your truck exhaust blowing water bubbles. I look forward to taking her and trying again.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by markismm View Post
Here is a video I did this past weekend of me and my brother loading the 84 S & S. As you can see the trailer is very deep. You can hardly see the top corners of the V-bunk sticking up. It was a little difficult to drive with one hand while filming with the other. In either event, you can see that I did not need any power to get the bar hooked and my brother simply pulls the boat forward by hand until the bar goes over the front u bolt. Then he hooks the winch and leaves it loose to pull the boat out of the water. Once out of the water we tighten the winch strap. Again, not sure this will work for all models, but if you can get your v-bunk deep enough, your u bolt should never hang up on the bunk. Sorry for the poor video quality.

Hope the link works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RELMsxdzM-w
Nice work on the video. I'm sure that will help a lot of people.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Nice work on the video. I'm sure that will help a lot of people.
The only additional advice I would give as well is to have someone near the back end of the boat and use the guide posts to help center the boat up on the trailer as it is being pulled out by the vehicle. Also, do not leave your winch strap "too loose", just a couple of turns loose. The first time you pull it out, stand near the front to watch the winch strap. See if it tightens up completely. Expect it to begin to tighten up some, but if it tightens up to the point to where you do not have to turn it at all, or actually have to loosen it some, then you have it too tight when pulling it out. Just practice with it and you will get the hang of it. Ideally, you want it to be so that you have to turn the winch about half to one full turn to tighten it to the point to where it is ready to be trailered down the road one you get the boat out of the water. I have actually painted a small line on my winch strap to know exactly how loose it needs to be when it ready to pull out. The reason this is important is because the back end of your boat is sitting much higher than the front and as the sunken trailer and boat come together as the boat is being pulled out, the front of the boat wil actually rise some and cause the winch strap to tighten some. Again, practice makes perfect, but eventually, I believe you will come to find that the bar style trailer is actually a fairly good design (at least that is now my opinion).
Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtnkshun View Post
That's great! THANKS! your ramp is much flatter than mine, but clearly I'm not putting the trailer deep into the water enough. My truck tires are hardly in the water whereas I can see your truck exhaust blowing water bubbles. I look forward to taking her and trying again.
Also, the steeper angle of your ramp should actually make the method I have described even easier. The steeper the ramp, the easier it is to sink the trailer deep enough. IF you have a shallw ramp, your vehicle has to back down even further to get the trailer deep enough. Tell the person who is driving the boat exactly what to be looking for (i.e. the tips of corners of the v-bunk just barely sticking out of the water) and they can wave the person backing the trailer to continue backing the trailer until just the right point. This makes it easy and takes out all of the guessing for the person backing the trailer because I imagine with almost all vehicles it is impossible to see the v-bunk's depth while backing down. During the video I took, I am waving my brother to continue backing down until the point where he stops so he does not have to get out to look at the trailer two or three times to see if it is deep enough.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1967 Bertram 20'
Great video! Proves to me that I'm not pulling in far enough.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Thanks for the vid! Looks like I'm not in far enough after seeing how far back your truck is. I've always subscribed to the fenders just under the surface by an inch.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
Thanks for the vid! Looks like I'm not in far enough after seeing how far back your truck is. I've always subscribed to the fenders just under the surface by an inch.
Having your fenders just above or just below the waterline is for a drive-on application. This is a float on loading method.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Skier, 1986, 351 Ford PCM
Thank you for the video... I can definitely say I'm not deep enough in the majority of the launches I use. But... the real problem is, you're spoiled. Your dock is crazy long, you have a second person, and you're in a lake, not a river. One of the launches I recently was given the warning at was on a relatively fast flowing river, with a crazy short and shallow dock, and I was alone. I had to pull up, tie off, run and grab the truck, back in, then maneuver the boat into line with the trailer and supposedly winch it up. I couldn't push the boat past the dock end or it'd quickly pull downstream, and I wasn't "allowed" to just jump in and drive it on. So the trailer had to be shallow and driving on wasn't an option. I was all around screwed. And Mr. Po Po didn't care.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Skier View Post
Thank you for the video... I can definitely say I'm not deep enough in the majority of the launches I use. But... the real problem is, you're spoiled. Your dock is crazy long, you have a second person, and you're in a lake, not a river. One of the launches I recently was given the warning at was on a relatively fast flowing river, with a crazy short and shallow dock, and I was alone. I had to pull up, tie off, run and grab the truck, back in, then maneuver the boat into line with the trailer and supposedly winch it up. I couldn't push the boat past the dock end or it'd quickly pull downstream, and I wasn't "allowed" to just jump in and drive it on. So the trailer had to be shallow and driving on wasn't an option. I was all around screwed. And Mr. Po Po didn't care.
That is actually a part of a river system and can be fast flowing at times or windy at other times. In either event, I agree that it is much easier when you have someone else around to help regardless.