Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I'd just continue with business as usual. If you get hassled, ask the cop for a hand to show you the correct way to loading (you know... since this is "one of your first few trips out as a boater"). Play the noob card, and watch him struggle and not be able to winch it up either.

Negatory!

I've experienced the problems power loading creates to the extent that for the last 4 years I've had to drive 20 minutes around the lake to get to a launch that was suitable.

Power loading destroyed the launches to the point where the concrete ramps heaved, a big pile of rock built up behind to the point where if you had to back the boat off while pulling the trailer forward slowly, then you had to hand walk the boat around the rock pile.

Fix the trailer! DNR is correct to enforce this hard.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
markismm, I have an 89 Tristar 190 and my issue with going to deep on the trailer seems that the bow eye will catch on the v-bunks. Do you ever have that issue? Maybe I need to go even deeper. I've only had the boat a season so maybe I need to experiment more.
Yeah I believe you need to go deeper. not professing to be a tristar expert, but logic seems to tell me that if your bow eye is above the water line and the v=bunk is at or below the water line, i will not catch on the v=bunk. Just my thoughts. I know the sink-it method works for my boat on all of the ramps I have been on in Alabama and Georgia.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X Star
I have an 05 X Star with the POS factory trailer and I would love for someone to explain to me how to get this boat on without power loading. Mind you a little common sense goes a long way, dunking the bunks prior to loading, and granted a lot had to do with the actual ramp grade but it is nearly impossible to get an X Star on without driving the boat up the bunks until, the boat buddy clicks. Any chuckle head enforcing a rule without asking a few questions or offering assistance should go back to bagging groceries.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by markismm View Post
Yeah I believe you need to go deeper. not professing to be a tristar expert, but logic seems to tell me that if your bow eye is above the water line and the v=bunk is at or below the water line, i will not catch on the v=bunk. Just my thoughts. I know the sink-it method works for my boat on all of the ramps I have been on in Alabama and Georgia.

You'll NEVER get that V bunk below the bow eye on most ramps, almost every launch/recover I walk back the trailer an lift the eye over the V.

Capt. Jack - That's about momentum, you need to be confident getting on the trailer with speed, not driving on, letting the boat stop, then giving it gas.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Here's a good pic that shows how high my v-bunk seems to be. Does this seem higher than the Prostar trailers?

With the way the geometry work, as the stern floats off the trailer and raises up it makes the bow eye want to catch more because the bow gets lower in front of the v-bunk. It seems I would have to back WAY in to get that v-bunk at or below water line.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2013, 10:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Here's a good pic that shows how high my v-bunk seems to be. Does this seem higher than the Prostar trailers?

With the way the geometry work, as the stern floats off the trailer and raises up it makes the bow eye want to catch more because the bow gets lower in front of the v-bunk. It seems I would have to back WAY in to get that v-bunk at or below water line.
My trailer has 1 1/2 - 2" thick carpeted blocks that are separated by enough distance to allow the bow hook to pass between them. Perhaps you could increase the thickness of yours and move them a little further apart.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Quote:

My Tristar looks like that also, even though trailer is not a mastercraft.
What I do is winch until the bow eye is a little above the slot in the strap, then as I let the pressure off the winch, the boat usually slides back a little and I can get the strap to hold on the end of the eye. With the winch strap loose, the winch hook will slide out of the way just enough. Then take winch hook off bow eye and reattatch on the other side of the strap. It's a litte awkward and definiately makes loading take a little longer than if it were a drive on trailer but works.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
drschemel, your method makes sense. Does that mean you don't power load at all?

I may have to figure out a way to get a slot in the V like tph described. That sounds easiest for unloading.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Quote:
drschemel, your method makes sense. Does that mean you don't power load at all?

I may have to figure out a way to get a slot in the V like tph described. That sounds easiest for unloading.
right. Just idle onto the trailer then winch. I don't ever seem to be able to back into the water far enough to drive the boat all the way to the front of the trailer. I seem to have both axles of my yucon in the water as it is.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 84 Correct Craft S&S
I have to admit I struggle getting the bar on my 85 as well. The trouble with our ramp is that it's VERY steep and getting the boat to lock in without throttle appears to be impossible. Am I making it harder than it needs to be? Should the steep angle of the ramp make it easier to load?