Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-28-2013, 02:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...7&postcount=17
Old 05-28-2013, 04:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 PROSTAR
Over at Whitewater lake last summer had the Sherriff tell me power loading was okay due to drop off, and of course low water level. Go as deep as you can, float on then when the boat is exiting water, I like to center between bunks, but trailer must be deep enough . I'm usually right over idle to get it up to the top of trailer.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
I'd just continue with business as usual. If you get hassled, ask the cop for a hand to show you the correct way to loading (you know... since this is "one of your first few trips out as a boater"). Play the noob card, and watch him struggle and not be able to winch it up either. After he tries unsuccessfully to help you for the next 20-30 minutes (if he even agrees to helping), ask him what the best course of action is. Tell him the manual states that you should drive on to the bunks, and was designed to do so.

If that fails, check out Liquid Rollers. That will make the bunks very slick. A drop hitch will help too, and get the bunks completely wet before you try to winch it up. Also, if you have a second person with you and you have good control of your boat, maybe try coming in a little faster to the trailer and have you helper hold the bar up while you idle up faster than you normally would.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Not to thread jack here, but along the same lines is unloading with these bars. When I unload, the boat has a lot of times shifted against the slot in the bar forward or backward and I can't release until I have it semi-floating in the water and power forward or back on the trailer for the slot in the bar to be unbound and free, then unhook the winch strap quickly so the bar drops.

If it is unbound before I unload, I take the bar off and keep the winch strap on until we are safely in the water with it.

Anyone else experience that the same way I do?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
As I see it - the bar is a good safety feature to prevent the boat from sliding forwards if you crashed into something, with the winch holding down it heels the boat from sliding backwards.

That said, a steel bow stop with a roller or V in front of the bow eye stops the boat from going forwards, as does the V of carpet that cradles the front of the boat.

Any modification to your trailer should include: Bow stop - winch strap or cable and a good safety chain. I like to use a ratchet strap from the bow eye down/back as well.

Then of course you need rear ratchet straps to get your 3 points.

You never want to make your trailer "less" safe - but having occasionally had to trailer the boat with the bow strap not engaged because I could not get the trailer deep enough on a MI DNR ramp and was not allowed to use engine - I would say almost anything is safer.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
I have an 84 S & S and have never had any problem getting the bar on or off except for the first time I took it out after I bought it. After that I called the guy I bought it from who told me I simply was not getting the trailer deeep enough. Since then, I back the trailer down until the top corners of the front carpeted V are just barely sticking out of the water. At that point I can hand pull the boat far enough forward to raise the bar into place and secure with the winch hook which I leave loose until I get out of the water. I thn just take a turn or two to cinch the winch down. Obviously there is some variation depending on the angle of the lauch and your willingness to walk in the water to hand guide your boat, but I have launched it on several different ramps with several different angles and have never had any issue loading the boat. As for the binding issue with the bar, I say the same thing, sink the trailer further and pull forward by hand and it will release. Again, this is exactly what the previous owner told me when I bought the boat and got frustrated after my first in and out. He was right. I do admit that my whole method works much better if I have one additional person with me, but that is not absolutely necessary.

One final thing, if you have a concern that the hull will hit the jack, then either lower the jack during the loading process, or get a swivel jack and swivel it forward wile loading.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
markismm, I have an 89 Tristar 190 and my issue with going to deep on the trailer seems that the bow eye will catch on the v-bunks. Do you ever have that issue? Maybe I need to go even deeper. I've only had the boat a season so maybe I need to experiment more.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 pro star 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
markismm, I have an 89 Tristar 190 and my issue with going to deep on the trailer seems that the bow eye will catch on the v-bunks. Do you ever have that issue? Maybe I need to go even deeper. I've only had the boat a season so maybe I need to experiment more.
x2, the ramps i have to use were built for flat bottom john boats i think and the length of the ramp is just long enough to get the tops of the fenders in the water before it drops off to 8+ foot from power loading.....and that puts me with the bow eye catching, i have to pull out a smidge more and power on....then do the brake deal to get the bar on......i am going to get a drop hitch to help some, as stated above and a drill........

87 ps190.......
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
A roller cleverly positioned on the trailer behind the V bunk will start the hull up. Don't know if there is a good cross member on a tristar trailer. You may benefit from lowering the tongue, but check that on level ground.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
i'm afraid this would be my response to any dirty looks received:

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...