Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205, 1999
1999 Prostar 205 needing a little love

Picked up "my" first boat today. Family had one growing up so I am a little familiar with boats. Its a 1999 Prostar 205 dd that was a bank repossession. As soon as the PO stopped paying the bill, they let the boat sit outside

Things it needs:
The tach doesn't work
Needs a battery
The hull needs a serious cleaning
Needs some fiberglass repair, some shallow nicks along the right side at the water line.
The interior needs a complete redoing
No cd player
A good look over/service

Things I plan on doing:
Tower complete with board racks and speakers
Built in ballast system and trim tab

When I looked the boat over, we hooked up a battery charger and it fired right up and sounds great (I ran it 30 seconds tops) I will be doing the interior myself (have access to sewing machines at work) What kind of battery does the boat need?

I plan on taking it in for a 100 hour service (change all fluids filters, greese cables, inspect the drive shaft etc) and getting the fiberglass repaired. What kind of cost am I looking at for the service?

What should I be cleaning the hull with, some you tube videos talked about using some muriatic acid.

If there is anything I am missing that should get the fine tooth comb treatment please let me know. This is a learning experience for me.

Here is just 2 pictures for tonight. I will snap more as the project comes along.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
OK, it's May. It's boating season.

In my opinion, the boat doesn't NEED:
1. A tach
2. A clean hull
3. Nicks in the fiberglass fixed
4. A CD player
5. A tower and Ballast.

What it does need is:
1. A good look over/service
2. A working battery, blower, bilge pump, engine, transmission.
3. Probably a bimini. Of course, I'm in Phoenix, where that's an absolute requirement and you're in NorCal, where it may not be.
4. A family in it having fun.

Most of the items on your to-do list I'd put on the Wintertime to-do list; if you're not an experienced boater, you may add more nicks to the fiberglass that need fixing next winter, or interior problems that need repair. No sense in delaying the enjoyment of the boat to make sure everything's polished up.

Have a qualified mechanic look it over, and look over the trailer at the same time. Get it lake-worthy, and go have fun. A summer in the boat will help you set priorities on what needs fixing, upgrading, or ignoring. Get a pair of good combo skis, a beginner wakeboard, a tube and perhaps a kneeboard if you have kids, and take the summer learning to use them. Don't be afraid to ask friends/acquaintances who have boats to come out with you and teach. Learn from them. Don't drink on the boat - it's hard enough learning to be a captain without having to deal with the problems that come with impaired judgement. Grab a copy of the USCG regulations for small boats, and make sure you have all the required safety equipment - getting boarded and not having the right equipment puts a crimp in your day.

Learn to back up the trailer. Have someone else teach your wife (if you have one). Learn to back the boat off the trailer (hint: It always turns to starboard going backwards), and put it on the trailer. Learn the checklist for putting the boat in the water (hint: Blower for 5 minutes, and plug).

Then let the MCOCD take over. Plenty of threads on here about cleaning the hull, gelcoat restoration, replacing interior skins, general maintenance (impellers, shaft packing, steering cables, wiping down the boat, greasing, oiling, etc).

But, mostly, go get wet.

/frank
Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Congrats on the boat! Before you ask, go with the New Dimension Tower made for that boat. Have fun!!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 05-24-2013, 08:59 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Check the year on the tires... if they are original they could ruin a weekend.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Change the impeller, spark plugs, and oil in the motor and tranny. Save your money and do it yourself in the driveway. Just a spark plug wrench, small hand pump, and a couple of other hand tools, so easy even a caveman can do it. Then take the boat to the nearest lake and test it in the water. Let it idle at the ramp while you check for proper running and leaks at the motor and propshaft, bilge pump etc. Idle around in gear and check forward and reverse then if everything checks take it out and check hole shot and high rpm running. Never run the motor on the trailer without water going to the impeller(even for 30 seconds). Once your sea trial is done you may need a few small adjustments that you can do yourself or you may need a shop to dig in deep, you won't know until you actually drive the boat. Get a buddy with a boat to follow you around or just ask someone at the ramp to follow you for 10 minutes while you sea trial. There are some top notch mechanics right here that you can ask any question. Post up some close up pictures of your motor and bilge etc and owners with the same boat/engine combo will help out. If all of that scares you have a mechanic sea trial the boat for you after you change out the simple stuff.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205, 1999
Thanks for the replys guys.

Where to start. Some of the nicks on the fiberglass do expse some of the cloth. I know the can cause serious fiberglass damage if water gets in. They are small enough I feel it will be a cheap fix.

Blackcreek: Is there a maintenance manual PDF I can download for this thing. I would love to do the impellar and plugs, but i def need a manual.

Mikeg: Tires did fine on the 1hr 45 min drive home. They looked good when I picked it up.

Frank: Already have a wakeboard and slalom ski. A tube and life vests will be picked up this week.

I will get better pics of everything today.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Check the year on the tires... if they are original they could ruin a weekend.
I would also pull the hubs and clean and grease the bearings.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Double post

Last edited by blackcreek; 05-24-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
Thanks for the replys guys.

Where to start. Some of the nicks on the fiberglass do expse some of the cloth. I know the can cause serious fiberglass damage if water gets in. They are small enough I feel it will be a cheap fix.

Blackcreek: Is there a maintenance manual PDF I can download for this thing. I would love to do the impellar and plugs, but i def need a manual.

Mikeg: Tires did fine on the 1hr 45 min drive home. They looked good when I picked it up.

Frank: Already have a wakeboard and slalom ski. A tube and life vests will be picked up this week.

I will get better pics of everything today.
Not great but have this one and it gets the job done for most basic items.
http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/...ar/indmar.html Honestly there are threads here for every repair on a direct drive prostar up to and including complete teardowns of engines and transmissions. Use the advance search function and type in keywords using the search title only to narrow down what you want to look for. Mastercraft also has the owners manual online for download.

So you want to find out how to change an impeller.
1.Click search at the top of the page
2. Click on advanced search in the drop down menu
3. Type in impeller as the key word
4. Click title seach only in the drop down
5. Select the forum you want to seach ie engine drive train
6. Click search and a bunch of threads will pop up.

Using the same search method and typing in owners manual as a key word and search title only in all forums this pops up.http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/

Last edited by blackcreek; 05-24-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W

Definitely do the impeller. That boat was probably "dry" started a few times. Also, it had a duct tape gas cap so water in the fuel may be an issue. I was told it was a Clear Lake boat, so I would check for good water flow through the raw water system. That lake has a lot of vegetation. Good Luck.