Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The fact that one is black and one is red only means someone used what they had. The two batteries are wired parallel and functionally, it should be OK, although the jumpers are A) old and not in good condition and B) not the same wire gauge.
That may be true but I would not do it or recommend it anyone else. I wouldn't even call it an MCOCD thing, just good practices.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:21 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
That may be true but I would not do it or recommend it anyone else. I wouldn't even call it an MCOCD thing, just good practices.
I agree- if I knew for a fact that I would be the only person who would ever work on it, maybe, but even then, I still would make sure it had some kind of marking. Even if it's red tape, it's a visual warning. The condition of the one connecting the positive posts does concern me and the terminals on the other both aren't great, either. The one at bottom left has electrical tape hiding something and the other end is green.

I just blew up the photo- the negative cables come out from the bilge- I didn't see that before. What's on the other end of these? That needs to be checked, too.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Ok....man this is frustrating. This is going to set back my season start date. I think I'll goo ahead and order the blue sea system. I'm pretty sure the alternator is stock. Should this be an issue?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Quote:
The fact that one is black and one is red only means someone used what they had. The two batteries are wired parallel and functionally, it should be OK, although the jumpers are A) old and not in good condition and B) not the same wire gauge.
I agree with JimN, functionally it shouldn't be an issue since the jumper wires are just used to tie the batteries together in parallel.

I would definately do some checking though.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I agree- if I knew for a fact that I would be the only person who would ever work on it, maybe, but even then, I still would make sure it had some kind of marking. Even if it's red tape, it's a visual warning. The condition of the one connecting the positive posts does concern me and the terminals on the other both aren't great, either. The one at bottom left has electrical tape hiding something and the other end is green.

I just blew up the photo- the negative cables come out from the bilge- I didn't see that before. What's on the other end of these? That needs to be checked, too.
Yeah, that's what I was most concerned about. If they are just stuffed down there and its just one cable that's just jumping across is one thing, but I could not make that out. It looks more like they were running off to something else. That was the scary part.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 05-24-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 AM
MC Fanatic

CR, you're just down the road. I'm headed your way! Haha
Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
CR, you're just down the road. I'm headed your way! Haha
Just down the road? I thought you were in Jersey?? But your profile says Clarksville, TN are you Army? That's right around six hours on a Friday night!! I drove that stretch for 3 years while I was stationed at Campbell! Man, I sure miss lunch at Panchos and breakfast at Gs.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 AM
MC Fanatic

Found a blue sea for $100. Should I grab it up?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Hahaha, does my profile seriously say Jersey? God I need to change that now! I'm from C-ville.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Nevermind, misread your post. Don't want to be confused for one of those guys.