Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-24-2013, 02:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Battery/Wire Mess!

The boat has been winterized for two winters. It's time to start getting her ready for the water. In the off season a lot of work was done in the boat by people other than myself. With all the unhooking and rehooking-up of the batteries I'm a little worried that something was done incorrectly. Here is how it sits now. Anything crazy looking? I don't want to blow the thing up,, assuming it even starts after so long.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:18 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Terminals need to be cleaned.

Seems you have both black and red wires going to the same terminal which does NOT look good. In fact that seems to be true on both batteries and you also have cables just laying on the floor.

I would not trust it unless you know for a fact it is correct. If it is correct it screams who they hell did it and why.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2013, 05:22 AM

And no, I am not saying put the black wires on the negative terminal, I'm saying it I would check to make sure it's correct. IE chase down those cables and see where they are connected at the other end.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Yeah, I'm considering pulling it all and starting over. The unhooked cables are from the amp I believe. I'm not sure if the system is just ran in parallel or if it has the isolator. Since the neg of 1 is connected to the neg of 2 I would assume its just paralleled. With my stereo system I should probably just isolate and have a cranking battery and a deep for the stereo and acc.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
If you want it right I would start over. Get some fresh Red/Black wire/cable from Genuine Dealz

http://genuinedealz.com/

along with the correct connectors. It looks like you have a bunch of corroded crimp connectors and a couple wires not even hooked up. Consider installing bus bars for accessories and if you don't have a battery switch/isolator installed now would be a good time to do so. I used the Blue Seas "add a battery" kit which worked well for me.

http://www.bluesea.com/products/7649...-Battery_-_65A

There are a few battery/wiring posts on this site that came out pretty good. You may want to check them out to get some ideas of what others have done......
Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 AM
MC Fanatic

I did read through the dual battery thread. Seem to be a few different options. Still can't quite nail down the difference between the blue sea isolator with the switch and the add-a-battery module besides not having to manually switch things.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
At the very least, get some red and black heatshrink and use the to "mark" the ends od the wrong colored cables correctly. IOW, if you happen to using a black jacketed cable between two positive terminals, you could put 2-3" of red heatshrink on each end. But you sure will get an MCOCD deduction! FYI, i just recently did the automatic relay option that Diesel wrote about at the beginning of the Dual Battery thread and it's terrific. Feel free to reach out if I can help.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
I did read through the dual battery thread. Seem to be a few different options. Still can't quite nail down the difference between the blue sea isolator with the switch and the add-a-battery module besides not having to manually switch things.
The factory dual battery has an isolator on it as well.

What I like about the switch is that I can anchor and place it on either battery. This I can run one complete dead and not worry about the boat starting to get home.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Terminals need to be cleaned.

Seems you have both black and red wires going to the same terminal which does NOT look good. In fact that seems to be true on both batteries and you also have cables just laying on the floor.

I would not trust it unless you know for a fact it is correct. If it is correct it screams who they hell did it and why.
The fact that one is black and one is red only means someone used what they had. The two batteries are wired parallel and functionally, it should be OK, although the jumpers are A) old and not in good condition and B) not the same wire gauge.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
Make sure your alternator can handle the load from two batteries when they both need to be recharged.