Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Anchoring buoys

Due to the shape of the lake and prevailing traffic pattern, folks like to get a little too close to our dock.

We have a couple 24" buoys to put out to create some space for swimming. I also use the buoys to set up a race course for my stand up jetskis

What is the best way to anchor them? We have a couple cinder blocks for each, 75' of nylon line (deep lake) and chain.
I was thinking chain around the cinder blocks and maybe 5 feet of chain hanging from the buoy to keep the rope from floating around the buoy as the lake level goes up and down.

Anyone got any tips or tricks here?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Due to the shape of the lake and prevailing traffic pattern, folks like to get a little too close to our dock.

We have a couple 24" buoys to put out to create some space for swimming. I also use the buoys to set up a race course for my stand up jetskis

What is the best way to anchor them? We have a couple cinder blocks for each, 75' of nylon line (deep lake) and chain.
I was thinking chain around the cinder blocks and maybe 5 feet of chain hanging from the buoy to keep the rope from floating around the buoy as the lake level goes up and down.

Anyone got any tips or tricks here?
We have a much shallower lake, but we use chain around the block, a short piece of rope and then a bungie cord to the buoy. Adjust the length of the rope so that the bungie is tight. This allows the lake to rise and fall quite a bit without having to adjust.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
The bungie sounds like a pretty good trick. It ought to at least get us through the <5' flucuations of the summer months and then we can just pull the buoys out for the fall/winter/spring when there is less boat traffic and the water is too cold to swim.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Remember that those blocks have a lot of air space in them and you lose a lot of weight when in water. I had problems with blocks shifting and moving especially with a good size buoy. I have some old solid concrete septic tank lids with rebar handles on them that I now have anchoring my buoys and now they never move.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
we fill a home depot bucket with concrete and set a large eye bolt in it. doesn't move
Old 05-26-2013, 11:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Tigé, 2150, 1997, Merc EFI
They don't need to hold anything heavy right? Just the buoy itself.
I would use some diving weights like these.
http://www.divecatalog.com/proline-w...ng-weight.html
Should be easy to find at any local diving shop.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:54 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I think lead is a good idea but It would take just the same about of weight as it would concert to keep from being pulled around by wind/waves.

Some people have mention old engine blocks and I would add old heavy big block V8 cylinder heads. You can remove the valves and run a good sized chain through them. The good part is you can probably pick up dozens of them from a junkyard or machine shop for very little cash.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlars View Post
Remember that those blocks have a lot of air space in them and you lose a lot of weight when in water. I had problems with blocks shifting and moving especially with a good size buoy. I have some old solid concrete septic tank lids with rebar handles on them that I now have anchoring my buoys and now they never move.
What do you do for the winter? I have a 75LB stainless piece of tube at the end of a chain to hold our swim raft in place. I pull the thing out every season end. What a job. I was thinking of leaving it in and floating a buoy, but think the ice would destroy everything and there goes the anchor.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
1000lbs for a proper mooring buoy concrete anchor. A 2500-3000lb boat can move a bucket full of concrete... pretty easily with the right weather...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...s#.UaJU6EDCaSo
Old 05-26-2013, 04:15 PM

Boat: 06 X30
He's talking about some swim bouys not anchoring a 3000lb boat!!