Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-10-2013, 02:02 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
My 2003 X-2 has the same pvc setup.
If it is the same valve from his thread then you too do not have right valve and should change them out for brass.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
That is NOT the same valve at all. You have the off the shelf home depot valve that the first video has in and not the Forespar Marelon valve. That is not an OEM setup at all.

I'd suggest you change those out for brass.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&postcount=16
That is OEM. I have the same setup in mine. It looks just like this:
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Well, live and learn. If that is OEM they were changed for a reason and I'd bet it's Coast Guard failure.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
Unfortunately, it is definitely is OEM.

My '03 X-10 had the same garbage on it. Making the situation even worse is that not one of the first, second, third, and fourth fittings/hose after the thru-hull are a shut-off. It goes from a brass thru-hull to a 90* PVC elbow, to a plastic bard fitting adaptor, to a short piece of hose with a worm gear hose clamp on both end, to another barb fitting adaptor before you finally reach a shut-off, which is also PVC. Even if you remove the poor choice of materials, you are still left with a design that is inherently flawed as is leaves mutliple sources of potential failures before coming to the shut-off.

Oh yeah, and there is no shut off on the raw water intake for my engine either. I'll be addressing that this winter.

Not sure how MC got away with this, but it appears from what you are saying that somebody (whether customer complints, Coast Guard cracking down, or some other source) convinced them to pony up and do this properly. I still can't believe that given the option they skimped on something so basic, especially considering the amount of risk that could've been avoided for such a minimal additional cost relative to the overall build price of a boat. Don't get me wrong, I still love my boat, but this is yet another one of the many unfortunate flaws I found over time in areas that are typically out of sight, out of mind for most.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 X-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
That is OEM. I have the same setup in mine. It looks just like this:
I have over looked this setup. I pushed and pulled, it would need a lot of force to break that PVC. I wouldn't have done an install like this but it does the job. BTW, The piece going through the hull is brass, if that was the main concern. My boat is a X-9 wakeboard edition so I am really expecting that this is factory and Mastercraft may shop at Home Depot for their PVC.