Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
1998 Prostar 205 Sun Deck Hardware

The sun deck blew off of the boat on a trip to Kentucky last year. I was wondering where people that have redone them have gotten the rectangular rubber mounting pieces and the metal "L" brackets? I bummed a picture off of an old post on this site for reference.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
for the plastic rectangles you may want to try starboard or make a set out of resin. the aluminum brackets I have not seen but should be easy to fabricate with a vise.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

I didn't know if bending a steel bracket would be as rigid as an extruded piece of aluminum.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Please post up what you ended up doing to fix this - we have the same problem on our 98 205

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

When I bought the boat 3 or 4 years ago it had blown off and gotten run over, but they followed the PO with it and gave it back. I have had it re-done once, using the old one as a template, and I left the boat there at the shop. It looked/worked good because it still had the original hardware. Last year it blew off at some point, which i noticed after getting a flat tire on the trailer .....

This time I took some measurements and modeled the base in ProE and created a print for it, and then made a cardboard cutout from it to verify the fit. I am not making the base myself as I don't really have the right wood working tools to make the curves. What I really would have liked to have done is printed the print full scale on a plotter and used that as a template, but I didn't have time. Hopefully they get it done for Memorial Day.

I haven't decided my long term solution for attaching it, but I got a roll of industrial strength velcro that hopefully works for this weekend.

I can attach a PDF of the print once I get the piece back and verify it fits OK if that helps anyone out.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Please do - and the industrial strength velcro - great idea

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well, I got lucky and got a call friday morning from the upholstery shop saying that he had completed the sundeck. That what was where the good news for the weekend stopped, as it was a pretty crappy weekend to tent camp and boat ... we made the most of it though. The sundeck fit really well, except for the foam being too thick. All in all, I am really happy with the way it turned out, especially considering it was done without him every seeing the boat. Attached are some pictures of the fit. Sorry for the crappy quality of the pics, it was parked in a covered slip, but water ran down on it and it was really cold and wet.

Last edited by jschildm; 05-28-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well, I tried resizing, but they are still pretty big .... sorry.

I have the print I made up for the base, which seems to have a pretty good fit. I think the original might be about an inch longer than what this one is, but I didn't want it to stick out past the back of the rear seat. I used the velcro to hold it down for the weekend and it worked great. I pulled it off for roading and it was fine skiing at 36 mph. It sat with rain dripping on it, so it did get wet and the strip pulled off the bottom of the seat, but I think in normal conditions it will be fine. The print is simply measurements that I took with a tape measure and then guessed what the orignal value would likely be.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...48/SUNDECK.pdf

Last edited by jschildm; 05-28-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Barbecue chips in the boat???
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

I give fair warning punishment for stains is drowning. Besides, the 5 inches of rain we got over the weekend would have taken care of any stains.