Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Of course you are still going to need another MDC control box to run all of your gauges, etc. but whatever you do don't pay a dealer $125 labor to replace it. It is a piece of cake to replace yourself. I would recommend saving up and installing Perfect Pass. It is also a relatively simple install and you will never regret it. We call it "the marriage saver".
Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 SportStar
Thanks for the great info! My thinking is if you don't have to connect the pitot lines to the MDC you should never have a water related problem with the MDC again?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
yes I installed myself, very simple install just need a switched 12v, ground, and light circuit, connect antenna and away you go, I am very happy with speedo heads minus the cost...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 AM
TT Regular

Anybody ever try to dry out the MDC and reinstall? I pulled mine and there are no visible cracks in the unit. Water sloshing around inside. If I get all the water out and get it all dried out any chance it would work? Or am I wasting my time?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 99 Mastercraft Prostar 205 VRS
Patrhodes, I have the same problem as you. My 99 Prostar leaked water into my MDC through the Pitot tubes on the last day in the water last season. I looked it up then at Midwest Mastercraft (they are only a few miles from me in Minneapolis) and price was about $250. Now I just tried to order one from them and it is $550!!! http://www.waterskis.com/508060-p/ma...1.htm?CartID=1

They said that their cost has gone up on it from Mastercraft. This is because MC relationship with Medallion is bad since they don't use them on new boats. So Medallion is jacking the price.........Anyway, I have a connection at Medallion from when I ordered a replacement matching fuel gauge last year. I am in the process of trying to buy direct from them and potentially cut out all the mark up cost. PM me if you want me to check if they have your model too (I'm assuming it is the same as mine).

As for trying to dry it out...I think you would need to drill a hole in it to drain it first. I'm an engineer in the electronics industry, and I highly doubt that the components on the circuit board would all still be working properly after a flood like that.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
Patrhodes, I have the same problem as you. My 99 Prostar leaked water into my MDC through the Pitot tubes on the last day in the water last season. I looked it up then at Midwest Mastercraft (they are only a few miles from me in Minneapolis) and price was about $250. Now I just tried to order one from them and it is $550!!! http://www.waterskis.com/508060-p/ma...1.htm?CartID=1

They said that their cost has gone up on it from Mastercraft. This is because MC relationship with Medallion is bad since they don't use them on new boats. So Medallion is jacking the price.........Anyway, I have a connection at Medallion from when I ordered a replacement matching fuel gauge last year. I am in the process of trying to buy direct from them and potentially cut out all the mark up cost. PM me if you want me to check if they have your model too (I'm assuming it is the same as mine).

As for trying to dry it out...I think you would need to drill a hole in it to drain it first. I'm an engineer in the electronics industry, and I highly doubt that the components on the circuit board would all still be working properly after a flood like that.
Same thing happened to me this year, $400 for the box. The guy at Buckeye Marine MC said the same thing, last year they were $250! Hope you are able to buy direct.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:27 PM
TT Regular

Seems to me that as long as you have the pitot tubes hooked up to the MDC you have a potential problem always. What do you guys think about installing a GPS speedometer? Or Perfect Pass? Then you should never have this problem again correct?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 99 Mastercraft Prostar 205 VRS
I have Perfect Pass. So I plan to just plug up my Pitot tubes, or better yet remove the ugly inputs for them from the back of the boat all together.

Perfect Pass is worth every penny if you pull skiers, wakeboarders, or surfers. I'm not sure on the GPS Speedo, but it is probably more accurate. What does it cost?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
I have Perfect Pass. So I plan to just plug up my Pitot tubes, or better yet remove the ugly inputs for them from the back of the boat all together.

Perfect Pass is worth every penny if you pull skiers, wakeboarders, or surfers. I'm not sure on the GPS Speedo, but it is probably more accurate. What does it cost?
Speedometer heads ~$230, antennas ~$250

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 PM
TT Regular

Medallion folks were wonderful help! My MDC unit was $171.82 plus $15 shipping. Was quoted $300 -$400 elsewhere plus installation. It shipped today. Fairly easy to pull it so install shouldn't be too bad. Would urge anyone that needs a new MDC to go direct.