Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Modest stereo upgrade

This is our first summer with the new boat (2001 19 Skier), it came with a minimal stereo - jensen head unit and 2 sony 6.5's by the back seat. The system has its issues and I am quickly becoming fed up with it.

So, I have been thinking about a modest upgrade to the stereo which will include a new head unit and 4 cabin speakers (replace the rear and install 2 new speakers beside observer seat and driver's seat). After much research I am leaning towards the following system:

Head Unit: Clarion M309
Speakers: 4 x JL MX 650's

I want to run an amp (as I realize these speakers will be under powered with just the deck pushing) and likely an 8" or 10" sub in the future but that is a little out of the budget for now.

Does this sound like a reasonable setup, any recommendations for different decks/speakers would be appreciated. I intend to keep it in the $500 - $700 range for this year.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Perfect.
The JL Audio XD500/3 or XD700/5 are good highly efficient fullrange Class D amplifiers to run a sub and four coaxials.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

great, thanks David I will keep those in mind when it comes time for the amp/sub.

For the front cabin speakers, I am leaning towards building enclosures that will fit into my side openings (similar to what Sodar did) opposed to cutting holes in my vinyl. Should I completely box in the speaker or leave it open at the back - thinking about the quality of sound here - or will it make a difference either way?

Last edited by 19_Skier; 08-24-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
You are dealing with infinite baffle speakers which like to operate in an expansive gunnel cavity, door or trunk. So you are darned if you do and darned if you don't unless you have such an enclosure.
Sealing the enclosure for a 6.5" in less than a cubic foot will inordinately raise the resonance and raise the low frequency cut-off point.
Contrastly, if the speaker has no front to rear acoustic isolation then it will have zero bass, little damping (which also negatively impacts the midrange), and very little power handling. You don't need a sealed enclosure for isolation. Distance as related to a portion of the wavelength of the lowest frequency the speaker can produce provides isolation.
So take the leper with the most fingers.

David
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I just picked up the below receiver and I am very happy with it. I already had a few goodies (4 speakers encased in baffles and a 250w amp). With this receiver, I was able to power the 4 speakers with the internal amp, and buy a sub for the 250w amp and I have really decent tunes.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=4423562
Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Resurrecting my old thread to show the final install of my new stereo. I went with the Clarion m309 head unit and 4x JL audio MX650's. I didn't really want to put more holes in the boat so I opted for building some speaker holders that I put in the gunwales beside the observer seat and behind the driver. So far really impressed with the stereo!

For the speaker holders, I used pressure treated plywood which were cut to be flush mounted into their locations (less 1/8"). I then had a friend wrap them in vinyl, the colour isn't an exact match but I'm OK with it until I do my carpet, then I will carpet the covers as well. I installed them using some 20 ga. strapping installed on the corners. I learned the hard way installing the first to anchor the strapping into the boat first then put the speaker mount in place and attached mount.

Pics below, I had nothing to do with the holes in the back, some genius installed the previous speakers using 2.5" drywall screws!
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I really like those style grilles compared to the sport grilles in your boat. The hide n blend nicely. Good call.

You are really going to want an amp to wake those up. They are a great speaker with power. Throw 100watts rms at them and you will love them.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Nice looking install. Good choice on cabin speakers too...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
I really like those style grilles compared to the sport grilles in your boat. The hide n blend nicely. Good call.

You are really going to want an amp to wake those up. They are a great speaker with power. Throw 100watts rms at them and you will love them.
thanks, I was debating between the classic or sport grilles, I am glad I went with the classic. The next step will be to add an amp and hopefully a 8" or 10" sub as well but may have to do that in two steps. For now, I'm content with the system as is but the main reason I went with this setup is so I can continue to add every year or 2 with higher quality equipment instead of opting for lower quality and putting everything in at once.

Last edited by 19_Skier; 05-21-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I run a similar setup with a single 10" sub in a generic enclosure in the bow powered by a 300w amp. I just run the cabin speakers off of deck power. I turn down the bass via the deck eq so cabin speakers are mostly running mid and high then balance out the bass by adjusting power and input to the sub. Sounds great and was a pretty cheap and simple.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy