Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-20-2013, 11:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
Tower Speakers / amp

I am sure this is a double post but my Clarion tower speakers are shot. Does it make sense to replace the speakers and use my current cans or by new enclosures with speakers.

I am probably in the market for a new amp to power everything also. The boat has the 4 speakers with Sub all Clarion.

So I will take all ideas

thanks
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Lots of variables here but there are some of the options:

1. Use existing cans and replace speakers with something like polk or wetsounds if looking for basic system. This is the low budget approach

2. If you have 4 cans and want sound projection to wakeboarders, buy some kicker hlcd speakers. You will need 2 cans for the horns and 2 for the midbass speakers. Usually you can pick these up for ~$300. If you only have 2 cans you could go with bulletlines for slighty more than the kickers.

3. Sell the existing cans and upgrade to 8" exiles or wetsounds for the ultimate sound quality (and price!)

As to amps, use one of the new class D instead of A/B as much smaller footprint and much higher efficiency. I'm running polk's new class D's (D1000.1, d4000.4' and 5000.5 but havent installed the last one yet). Sound very good and no issues with heat generation. Prices are very competitive at someplace like sonicelectronics but they have a hard time keeping them in stock and polk seems to be having a hard time making enough of them to meet demand.

Last edited by Rossterman; 05-20-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Only 2 cans, if using Bulletlines how do I replace the tweeter in can. (sorry for stupid questions)
Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Just leave existing tweeters in place disconnected. The bulletlines have horn tweeter in. A coaxial design.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Before placing a 6.5" HLCD in the factory pods, confirm the speaker basket against the pod opening. An HLCD and basic coaxial will be very different even though both may be classified as a 6.5". That is very thick billet at the face of the pod if you need to modify it. Also, a 6.5" HLCD is very bulky so there will be very little pod displacement left over in a smallish pod. A speaker that is extrememely bright and harsh with no midbass to begin with will only get worse. If you can go no larger than 6.5" HLCDs then I would run a strong and aggressive coaxial, give up some projection, and have some balance so you can tolerate listening to them.

David
Old 05-21-2013, 10:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Earmark what would you suggest I go with, I have looked at both JL and Kenwood. Kenwood is half the price for a KFC-162MRW 6.5 inch 2-way and they fit the can but would need to drill and tap new mounting holes.

I did not try JL in the can, but does not make sense to me to spend $300 + for the JL when I could buy new tower speakers without modifying or drilling new holes for the screws.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 PM
MC Fanatic

You are going to drill and tap with just about any coaxial. The Clarion mounting hole pattern is very narrow. It's also common with that pod to modify the billet face with a dremmel to make a small notch for the terminals.
The JL MX650 6.5" coaxial lists for $200 before discount so I'm not sure about the $300 you mentioned. But JL is an excellent choice. Another good choice would be the Wetsounds XS650 coaxial.

David
Old 05-22-2013, 09:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I would not be afraid of the bulletlines from a sound perspective.
It is not as harsh as the WS pro series. What good is a "balanced" speaker if you cant hear it at the rope or in a noisy cove? I run two pair in boat and like them.

Can fitment may be an issue but likely will be with many speaker baskets as David alluded.
Check ebay, they have been selling the krypt at a good price lately.

Replace the stock clarion sub with a larger sub in a box under the helm. There are many threads if you need help.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 AM
MC Fanatic

The Krypt 6.5" HLCD requires a 5 9/16" minimum opening. The opening in the MC pod is 5.0". Good luck removing 9/16" of solid 1/2" thick billet. Choose a speaker that will fit the pod so that all you have to compensate for is the mounting hole pattern and possibly the terminals.
Several manufacturers have discontinued their 6.5" HLCD offerings, such as Wetsounds and Bullet HollowPoint, because all you hear at the end of the rope is horn and they are terribly harsh near field. The Krypt is no exception. The Krypt is just an imported knock-off with zero in-house engineering. It can't possibly compare favorably to a Wetsounds product.

David