Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
Both batteries should be grounded to the engine block since that is the largest metal mass on the boat. Perhaps the transmission is the same or perhaps not. I'm not in a position to form an absolute conclusion.
B+ means the 'positive' voltage or just plain 'positive/+'.
The first two statements you quoted are saying the exact same thing. In case you are confused, the first statement is about the intended objective and about not about describing the problem.
All grounds are common. All positives will be common per the above instructions. However, there can be resistance inequities based on distance and gauge. And, resistance equates to a voltage differential. Not knowing where your batteries are located in respect to the audio equipment and namely the amplifiers, the safe route is to get the source electronics + & - from as close to the amplifier primary + & - terminals as possible. Of course the amplifiers will get their + from the dual battery switch and their - from the battery.
So you can ignore just about everything and just follow the simple instructions listed above in my prior post.

David
Ok, Thanks for clearing that up.

I was talking to my installer just a bit ago telling him what you put here and we were just confused.

About the ground on the transmission he stated that the trans is mounted to the engine and therefore you would get the same ground as if it were to the block.

I know I used all the right gauge wire. The problem I see here is that the distance from the B+ to the amps + is from my switch at the rear of the boat under center rear seat (Vdrive) and then run all the way to under the observer seat where the amps are. Should I run the power cords from the batteries all the way to the observer seat area and put the dual battery switch under there with the amps?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM
MC Devotee

Ok, I think you are right on the Swtich being the issue. However I don't really know the best way to make it closer to the amps without moving one or the other. Which means redoing all my stuff.

The other issue I might be having, after a quick call to Rays Electronics (who I purchased the equip from) they stated that it could be combination of my power wires and my RF cables being run together.

Could I hook up the amps direct to the battery since the head unit should shut them off via remote?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Ok, I think you are right on the Swtich being the issue. However I don't really know the best way to make it closer to the amps without moving one or the other. Which means redoing all my stuff.

The other issue I might be having, after a quick call to Rays Electronics (who I purchased the equip from) they stated that it could be combination of my power wires and my RF cables being run together.

Could I hook up the amps direct to the battery since the head unit should shut them off via remote?
Okay, you do not have to relocate the dual battery switch. The actual location of the batteries and/or dual battery switch is somewhat irrelevant to your problem. Your only concern is moving the source electronincs + & - as close to the amplifier primary terminals as possible via the most direct route as possible with a decent gauge wire (14 ga. min. to 12 ga. max.). The most critical power and ground relationship is between those audio components in the signal path.

David
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM
MC Devotee

OK, I may have nailed it then. My Head unit is grounded to a different source than the amps. So I need to run power all the way back to the switch as well as ground all the way to the transmission?

I think i'm starting to get it. Sorry i'm so confused.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
I know that your going to want to keep the RCA's away from the power wires. Do you know if your RCA's are shielded? Sounds like your problem is that the power and RCA's. That's your step one to see if the noise goes away.

David can give you the why for.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Nope, you are not getting it.
The amplifier is grounded to one or the other battery and these grounds are common.
The amplifier gets its B+ supply from the dual battery switch post....and nowhere else.
The source unit gets its B+ at the amplifier primary B+ terminal via any means you want....and nowhere else.
The source unit gets its ground at the amplifier ground terminal via any means you want....and nowhere else.

David
Old 05-20-2013, 04:15 PM
MC Devotee

They are shielded RCA's so I thought they would be ok. But I will move them just to be sure.

David, Thanks for the mundane repetition, So much gets lost in translation over text. I have it crystal clear now.

I bet these 2 issues is the ticket. I will get these to be compliant per your instructions and let you all know if it worked. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 x star
so i was looking at mine today. Both amps - go to the negative battery terminal and both positive. go to a main fuse and then to the battery switch im assuming the head unit grounds to one of the amps as well as its power lead goes to one. (was having a heck of a time crawling under and checking.)

from what im reading this sounds right?

could it just be the rca wires close proximity to power leads then?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyluv View Post
so i was looking at mine today. Both amps - go to the negative battery terminal and both positive. go to a main fuse and then to the battery switch im assuming the head unit grounds to one of the amps as well as its power lead goes to one. (was having a heck of a time crawling under and checking.)

from what im reading this sounds right?

could it just be the rca wires close proximity to power leads then?
The amps' B+ may be going to the switch, but are they going to the "C" post of the switch. You may need to pull the switch down and see for sure. Also, I would not assume where the head-unit's B+/MEM lead is terminating, I would trace it.

We rarely see noise coming in on RCA cables, even price-point. I would confirm all stereo gear B+ is terminating where it needs to be, then grounds, amp gains and then RCA cables.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Like Mike said above, it is possible to have noise radiated into the RCA cables by being in close proximity to power cables but it is extremely rare. In fact, I can only remember having to relocate RCAs as an actual or partial solution perhaps two or three times in nearly 15 years of having a dedicated marine audio division.

David