Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-29-2005, 02:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 PS 197
Wd-40

I was talking with an owner of brand x ski boat the other day and we were discussing winterizing the boats. He said he sprays his entire engine down with WD-40 and come spring the engine is clean as can be and does not need to be cleaned up. Does anyone else do this. I like the idea of coating the engine but I do not want to have to clean all the WD-40 off come spring. What is everyones thoughts
Old 09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
I've used a storage seal before made specifically for the purpose. Spray it on, you don't have to clean it off, it remains as a protective coating agains corrosion. Mercruiser makes one, CorrosionX is another.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
When I bought my boat a friend of mine who owned a '92 PS205 told me to do the same thing on a regular basis to keep things from rusting. He was the original owner of his boat & the engine looked pretty good...... but then again it only had like 350 hours on it at the time too.
5 yrs later he's sold his boat & I've got the typical rust on the bottom of the exhaust manifolds. So I don't know if it really does any good or not.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 81 Stars & Stripes
What are you protecting it from ?
The engine is exposed all summer to moisture and heat. I have never sprayed my 81 with anything and it still looks fine. No pics available today sorry.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 PS 197
From what I gathered it was not so much the protection, more for cleaning without the work
Old 09-29-2005, 03:40 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I used silicone spray last season. The engine already had rust on it, so I don't know if I have any more at this point. Can't hurt ... can it?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 197, 2005, 350 MCX
i know when i use to own a crotchrocket, a bunch of my buddies would use WD-40 to coat their bike engines...would make them shine and protect them from rain/moisture from sitting outside...made the engine/chrome look beautiful...of course you still have to wipe down...

not quite sure how you would avoid OVERSPRAY, can't imagine WD-40 on the carpet/upholestry would be good...
Stuff for Sale - http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...ood&search9=NH
Old 09-29-2005, 04:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
corossionx is used for coating outboards on the coast. Anytime they are serviced they get coated. It will not hurt rubber products on your engine like oil based products.This stuff has taken the place of WD40 in my tools. They're other product rejex is also used to wax my boat, my car, and their windshields.

http://corrosionx.com/
Old 09-29-2005, 05:01 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
George, I just read that somewhere else.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
funny I read about rh props on MC somewhere different. The boat called the beast design for ski fly had a RH prop. When I saw it back up I thought I was seeing things. When you start using corossionx you'll wonder how you lived with out it. A friend of mine works for them and he got me hooked. Cobalt Boats give a sample with their saltwater package. It is used on the SS rubrail to keep it looking new.