Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Well I had to go out and take a few pics of the sun deck.

There's screw holes on each side where I assume the shock go.

I don't know if someone modified my deck and covered over the holes and installed the latch?

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolen View Post
Yes, there is a powered hydraulic actuator that sits in the port locker which is wired to a switch right behind the throttle arm. I just traded in my '98 maristar, otherwise I'd hook you up with a picture. This motor always scared me that it would wear out one day...my kids loved to play with the button to raise/lower the sundeck. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with details, but thought I would chime in to try to help.
Thanks for the reply. Either my boat came without it or someone modified it, even a block out plate behind the throttle where the switch would have been. Boy do I have a lot to learn about inboards!!

Thanks again, Steve
Old 06-10-2013, 10:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
Sorry Steve, I really thought that was standard...but in all honesty, I like the non-powered setup better. If you can figure out how strong of shocks you need, I promise you'll like how it works! I would think you'll need two relatively strong shocks to support it...do a search on the forum, there was a guy that replaced his powered actuator with spring shocks for fear that the powered unit would crap out.

Good luck!
Doug

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Ya learn something new every day. I don't see any evidence that your boat ever had the actuator - I didn't know that was possible. That's a slick looking latch assembly on the deck too - I wonder where I could get one of those - it would be far better than the powered setup.

Looks like your boat is missing all of the panels out of the rear compartment. There used to be carpeted boards mounted on the sides and transom, and two hinged boards mounted next to the engine. Formed a right nice carpeted box, it did. I took mine out so the Air Chair would fit in the compartment, but I left the dividers next to the engine to keep things from shifting into it. The dividers would fold down towards the outer side of the boat for access to the engine.

/frank
Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post

Looks like your boat is missing all of the panels out of the rear compartment. There used to be carpeted boards mounted on the sides and transom, and two hinged boards mounted next to the engine. Formed a right nice carpeted box, it did. I took mine out so the Air Chair would fit in the compartment, but I left the dividers next to the engine to keep things from shifting into it. The dividers would fold down towards the outer side of the boat for access to the engine.

/frank
I have the panels for the rear compartment. The carpeting was so greasy/moldy I removed all the carpeting and the dividers. After I reinstall the motor I will powerwash the dividers really well and reinstall them. Sometime I plan relacing all the carpets.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Do most boats have the gas shocks or just the actuator?

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 PM
MC Devotee

Mine has the actuator and one gas shock. I added a second to help lift the deck because the actuator was moving slow. If I remove the actuator, the two shocks are sufficient to hold the deck up.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
I will try to post pics of our bone stock setup tonight.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

I've polished some of my stainless steel trim, it didn't come out perfect but a lot better then it was. I bought a small Craftsman's buffer a while ago to buff some automotive trim.

Can I just use a good silicone sealant when I reassemble any parts that are close to the water or do I need to use a marine silicone.

Steve
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM
MC Devotee

Just use silicone. Even without sealant, you're not going to get any significant water through those fittings (except possibly the bow ring). Of course, I'm speaking as someone with pre-teen children and a dog; a golf-ball sized hole in the hull would let less water into the boat than the kids and dog bring in.

Don't get into the 3M 5200 sealant crowd - it's great stuff, but consider it more-or-less permanent. If you ever need to get it off, you'll have to get out the jackhammer.

Also, I replaced the fixed cleats on the flanks of the boat with pop-ups. The kids love jumping off the sunpad over the side, and I really worried about one of them coming in contact with those horns. Something like this or this helped my piece of mind immensely.