Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Not surprising. I am starting to believe that these drive dampeners break down just from not being used. I had to replace mine last summer and my boat only had approx 270 hours at the time. I friend of mine just bought a 2000 210vrs with only 160 hours and his dampener is making all kinds of vibrating noise.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Finally!!!!

After 2 years working on it we put it in the water on Friday!!! Everything went very well.

Video clip - that's my son driving:

I still need to reinstall the carpeted panels around the motor and on the sides under the lounge pad, there was a lot of motor noise coming up through the side compartments. I'm assuming those panels would quiet it down a lot.

There was also a small vibration in the boat but there is a small nick in the prop I need to fix.

I also need to install the large Mastercraft decal I had made for the side of the boat, I left it off because I don't have the dock set up on the other side with bumpers yet.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped me through this project, I've learned a lot and still have a lot to learn.

Thanks again, Steve
Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Congrats...very cool thread and refurbish, keep posting. Also, I was wondering if you could provide manufacture and part number of the alternator you used?

Last edited by mgs96ps; 10-20-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Way to go Steve! You did a great job and following along has been fun. Glad you didn't have to wait until spring to know how reassembly went.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
Congrats...very cool thread and refurbish, keep posting. Also, I was wondering if you could provide manufacture and part number of the alternator you used?
I'll have to check the alternator the next time in the boat, he's a link that I have a pic of the back of it. IIRC Richard at Skidim helped me with the wiring, they might sell them.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=56117

If you need more info please let me know
Steve
Old 09-03-2014, 01:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

One other thing I could use some help with.

If all goes according to plan the boat will be sitting in the water next summer tied to the dock, a lift is not in the foreseeable future.

Can I use the stock stuffing box or do I need to upgrade to a dripless model link PSS or OJ Dripless? I know I've read the while running a standard stuffing box needs to drip a few drips per minute, do they drip while sitting if adjusted correctly?

Any advice installing the dripless styles on a V-drive compared to a direct drive?

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks, Steve
Old 09-03-2014, 02:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
It's pretty tight in there for a dripless. If you could, I'd do it simply from the peace of mind. Of course, living where you do you'd have to guarantee that you couldn't have a cover failure or you'd get a lot more water from rain.

As far as dripping at rest, you may or may not be able to adjust that tight, depending on the type of packing you have and the condition of your propshaft. This is an excellent write-up on maintenance and adjustment of the stuffing box.

If it was my boat, I'd upgrade to the high-tech style of packing, put in a second bilge pump and make sure to have a solar panel keeping the battery charged. And put "Check drip rate on packing" on my twice-a-year maintenance list.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Congrats, Steve! Good to see her finally on the water! A beautiful boat indeed!