Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Normally with a relay, you'd need at least three connectors on the bottom - one for +12 to activate the relay (grounded through the case), and a guzinta and guzouta terminal. With only two terminals on this one, I'm at a loss - perhaps a circuit breaker (although it appears to be labeled with "12 v", not a current rating), perhaps something else. Really hard to tell.

/frank
That's funny, I use the term guzinta but never heard of guzouta but I guess if you have one you can have the other.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Normally with a relay, you'd need at least three connectors on the bottom - one for +12 to activate the relay (grounded through the case), and a guzinta and guzouta terminal. With only two terminals on this one, I'm at a loss - perhaps a circuit breaker (although it appears to be labeled with "12 v", not a current rating), perhaps something else. Really hard to tell.

/frank
I figured it out!! After reading your post I thought about it differently, I was thinking it was like a circuit breaker (but not marked with amps) or a noise supperessor and it was feeding the stereo power but it's getting power FROM the stereo.

I was planning on buying one of these and I knew the "box" looked simular but I did not put it together:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SIEMP41400

It's an alarm buzzer!!. It's getting power from the stereo, going thru the buzzer to a normally open grounding sending unit!!! I applied power and it make a vibrating buzz sound.

When I reassemble the motor I will have to look for 1 or 2 not factory sending units.

Mystery solved!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 1998 LT1
You are doing a great job. Nice to see a Mastercraft restored.

As far as your water pump thermostat. You will need to order one. A marine boat 160 is different from the chevy one. Dont forget to get the seal for it as well. If I remember right, I got mine from Skidim
Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Quote:
I will step out of this conversation now; his write-up is authoritative and excellent. Apparently that style is not electronic like I thought, and yours definitely looks like it needs replacement. BTW, I ended up with a replacement that looks exactly like the new one he got, from WEMA. I'm quite satisfied with it.
My sender is still reading acurate. Thanks for the pat on the back Frank. Is it possible that the Relay/Buzzer is for the check engine buzzer that comes on when you first turn on the ignition?

Great progress by the way. Mine started out similar to yours however mine was running well just needed the elbow grease part. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenster View Post
You are doing a great job. Nice to see a Mastercraft restored.

As far as your water pump thermostat. You will need to order one. A marine boat 160 is different from the chevy one. Dont forget to get the seal for it as well. If I remember right, I got mine from Skidim
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtajpa View Post
My sender is still reading acurate. Thanks for the pat on the back Frank. Is it possible that the Relay/Buzzer is for the check engine buzzer that comes on when you first turn on the ignition?

Great progress by the way. Mine started out similar to yours however mine was running well just needed the elbow grease part. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the compliments on the boat. It's been a lot of work but I'm getting excited that it's going back togeter now!!

I'm working on an order from Skidim, fuel gauge sender, raw water impeller, t-stats, gasket & o-ring.

Does the boats have a factory installed buzzer? The one I took the picture of was definately not "factory" installed, it was held on by one screw and the wires were not run thru wire loom like the rest.

Thanks again, Steve
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

On the first page of the thread Frank posted an info.txt file with a lot of part numbers, well it helped out already. I needed to replace the shock on the port side storage compartment. The text file had a Monroe part number listed, I searched it on Ebay and for around $16 I bought it including shipping.

I called NAPA and they quoted me $30 ish.

Thanks Frank!!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Yes - looking around can save hundreds on projects.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

I need help deciding if I should change the packing on shaft? The 1998 Maristar has 375 hours and has been sitting for 3 years. Now would be the time to change it but on the otherhand I don't want to do it if I don't have to.

Any advice?

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Do you still have the engine out of the boat?

If so, I'd say that this is certainly the right time. Getting access to the packing nuts is really a pain in our boats - you can see them, you can reach in and touch them, but getting a wrench on them and rotating is difficult.

It's not really a huge job even with the engine and trans in place. Drop the partitions next to the engine, lay down, loosen the jam nut and unscrew the packing nut. Use a dental pick or something similar to pull all the old packing out, put in the GFO packing from SkiDim, put things back together loosely. Wait till you get to the lake, tighten up until you have a good drip rate (be generous at this point), run for awhile, retighten. After ten hours, check and re-adjust to final drip rate. Good instruction here. It'll be a three or four hour job the first time you do it, less than an hour the second time.

Remember that you'll have to re-align the propshaft when the engine goes back in; leaving the packing loose will make that a bit easier.

/frank
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Our boat has about 410 hours on it. Had it in recently for a leak (another story) but had the packing adjusted at the same time. Mechanic said it looked like it had never been adjusted. He tweaked a little bit and said we had a LOT of room to adjust more. I'm not sure if it sitting is bad or not. Like you said now is the time to replace if needed. Access to the packing in a V drive is a nightmare.