Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-15-2013, 04:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Pro Star 190 LT1 1995
Lost signal to fuel pump. No start.

1995 Pro Star 190, LT1. Fuel pump dead, replaced. Started right off the bat as soon as key was turned. Ran a bit rough. Started again but a bit reluctant. One more time but no start. Figured out fuel filter was clogged after checking valve on fuel rail. Replaced. Tried to restart but nothing. Fuel pump is not energizing. Just for kicks I pulled a spark plug, reconnected plug wire and tried to ground to block hoping to see blue or red spark-nothing. Checked three fuses on right hand side of motor all were good. Two relays were located and pulled but could not check them. I do have an volt meter but did't really know how to check. I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Check that your kill switch is working and the safety clip is pushing the button in far enough.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
TT Newbie

That was my first thought too. It's working fine.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
5.7L TBI utilized the MEFI 2 fuel injection control module. A common problem with this unit is that with age the specific circuits controlling the fuel pump go bad. This happened to me on my 1997 190. If you have the MEFI 2 or the MEFI 1 then I may know what the problem is.

This module is no longer produced and there is no conversion to a newer MEFI available. However, Indmar has a technical bulletin available that details how this circuit can be bypassed. The one drawback to this "bypass" is that the fuel pump then runs continuously. Not a problem as long as you don't leave the key in the "on" position.

Another potential cause of your problem may be the fuel pump relay with sits attached to the backside of the bracket that holds the controll module. This relay can be matched at just about any decent parts store. Price is about $20.

I have attached a copy of the service bulletin and fix I received from Indmar. I had my dealer perform the service bulletin and she fired right up.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MEFI1 MEFI 2 Fuel Pump Rewire (Safety Switch).pdf (45.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
1995 Pro Star 190, LT1. Fuel pump dead, replaced. Started right off the bat as soon as key was turned. Ran a bit rough. Started again but a bit reluctant. One more time but no start. Figured out fuel filter was clogged after checking valve on fuel rail. Replaced. Tried to restart but nothing. Fuel pump is not energizing. Just for kicks I pulled a spark plug, reconnected plug wire and tried to ground to block hoping to see blue or red spark-nothing. Checked three fuses on right hand side of motor all were good. Two relays were located and pulled but could not check them. I do have an volt meter but did't really know how to check. I'm open to any suggestions.

You need to use an Ohmmeter- set it to the lowest scale. You should be able to measure across tabs 85 and 86- those are for the internal coil and are the the ones that cause the relay to close and make contact- you should see about 100 Ohms if you measure these. Tab 30 connects to 87a when the relay is at rest and makes contact with tab 87 when the coil is energized (tabs 85 and 86). You can use a jumper wire to connect 85 to teh battery and 86 to ground to verify the coil's operation. If you hear nothing, replace the coil only if you know you have good connections on the tabs. If the coil measures as open, it won't work. If it does click, measure from 30 to 87- if you see higher than about 1 Ohm, replace the relay. You can go to just about any car stereo shop for these- they're used extensively in stereo and alarm systems.

Here's a diagram of the relays-
http://www.the12volt.com/12voltimages/neg2pos.gif

If you have a test light, connect from 30 to 87- if you hear the pump run, you'll know it may work. If you hear nothing, look at the harness where it connects to the pump. You can also buy a fuse holder with 12ga wire- this will indicate how much current the pump is drawing- start with a 15A fuse and see if it blows- if it runs and doesn't blow the fuse, it's not drawing an extreme amount of current.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 PM
TT Newbie

OUTSTANDING! Thank you! I'll check tomorrow.