Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 X-25
Beginner Wakeboard Question

Prior slalom skier who is looking for adult men wakeboard. Am 6' 200 and thinking of getting one of these 2 - what do you guys think?

Liquid Force Trip vs Liquid Force Witness

Thinking a 142 with full bindings vs open toe

Thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
I rode the trip for a few years (2000-2002), I am 5'11" 190 lbs I have ridden sizes ranging from 138-141 in board sizes. I prefer a little bit smaller board due to the smaller the board is a little easier to spin, flip etc. 142 would work great for you, not too familiar with the witness so I can't give you my opinion on that one. I am going to go with the Watson 139 this year. But there is a reason why the trip has been around for 10+ years, plus since it is a 6 fin board you can play around with the configurations as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Bought a Liquidforces Trip for my first wakeboard last Spring and really like it. Stable ride and accelerates quick when you get it on edge. Pretty good value as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
I have the witness that I was riding for about a year or so and have switched to a Watson. While the witness is fast to turn and quickly accelerate towards the wake, the thing I don't like about it is what I think they refer to as the "winged rail shape". The outside edge at the ends of the board curve down to almost form a sort of cup shape (or half pipe may be more accurate). This causes the board to grab in the rear quite a bit making it difficult to lean over hard on edge. Hence my Witness is being "relegated" to a guest board.

The Watson I like quite a bit. It has decent pop off the wake while also having a softer feel to the landing. The first time I started riding it, it felt like it would almost be impossible to dig in the front edge of the board on landings. My feeling is that using the center fins on makes it usable for a beginner to use (unless you are dealing with one of those absolutely uncoordinated types) and then take the fins off to advance.

At 200 lbs., you are going to want the bigger board.

If you are somewhere you can demo boards, do so!

My feelings on open vs. closed toe boots: Open toe - OK for a youth with growing feet; OK if you want to share the boot with multiple people; OK for using as guest boot (sharing case as well). Closed toe boot - good for a tight, locked in feeling. More feeling and control over the board. Since many of these closed toe boots have insoles that mold to your foot, I would suggest not letting others use them.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
The trip is going to be a little more forgiving and also a bit more consistant off the wake. That board has been in their line almost since the inception of the company. It truly has been a great shape that rider can grow with on the starting end. As you progress you can remove a fin or two to help your style. The trip all the way of those two choices. The witness can punish you ocassionally if you are out of body position. Its edges are much less forgiving

As far as bindings Like Gone mentioned If it's going to be a single board only used by you closed toes all the way. You get much more performance from them. The board becomes more responsive, you get more support and they just "fit" better.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 AM
TT Regular

guys - thanks for the great feedback. Much appreciated!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 AM
TT Regular

binding recc

Guys, thanks for the guidance. Any advice on closed toe bindings? Can I go with any brand or should I stay within LF if I am getting the trip. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by packman312 View Post
Guys, thanks for the guidance. Any advice on closed toe bindings? Can I go with any brand or should I stay within LF if I am getting the trip. Thanks!
I'm a novice myself but do find the stock bindings on my LF Trip do flex at the base plate. May upgrade to a more robust bindings later on.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:47 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I went from a Trip, then Watson and now ride a Lyman 139 and love it! Not sure if you can find one anymore though. It holds an edge great, lands soft too. I don't do inverts or spins, but my friend does and he rides the same size board and likes it a lot. You would need the next size bigger (143 I think)

Don't bypass the Watson though, I always had fun riding that.
Closed toe Watson boots are real comfy, that's what I currently have. Shane boots are very similar, try both on if you can and see what feels best.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
You can use whatever bindings fit your feet the best EXCEPT Slingshot. Ronix n Lf are probably two of the most dominant in the bindings.

I would stay away from the liquid force Shane's. They are super flexible with not much support. They are more for an advanced ride who really likes to poke out grabs and tweak everything.

I would stay away from the ronix cells. They are super stiff and any movement you make being out of body position or maybe trying to hang on to a landing will be transferred directly to your board making it super responsive and unforgiving if you're out if position. Other than that have at a few you can try on.

I love the Ronix Ones. Close second is the Ronix Kai. May it may not work for you. Bindings are really dependent on foot shape so try a couple on. Just remember they will break in an get a 1/4 size bigger at least. So you want your toes barely touching in the closed toe bindings before your mold them with socks on.

If you're in a budget spend a bit more in the bindings and go with a "lesser" board. Happy feet are the key to boarding. A comfy binding is way more important than a specific board.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun