Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 215, 2011
Boot Position on Board

Well, we're newbies but we've been wakeboarding nonstop for a month now and I'm crazy about it. I try to hit the water at 7 AM when I can talk someone into driving my boat....LOL. Everyone in our group is now trying to jump W2W. My question is concerning boot/binding position on board. Do I go with what feels best for me or try to conform to the 9 - 12 degree position that I read about in instructional forums. Should my front and back feet match? Right now, I'm riding with my front front opened up a little bit more forward because it feels better on my knee. I don't want to form bad habits right from the start. Thanks for any advice.....

I LOVE my Mastercraft! - It's Never Too Late!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
Subscribed!

I was told to jump off the couch (or similar height object) When landed and settled my feet would be in the most natural orientation for wakeboarding. I did it 10 or so times and my feet were always orientated the same. Back foot slightly out and forward foot a few degrees further out than back. I set my board up this way and so far, so good. However, it does not feel right when I switch stance.....

Good topic. Cant wait to hear from the pros!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
As mentioned the jump method works. The angles are just a guideline but too much angle can put you prone to injury as can too little. Each person is different. you shouldn't feel any strain whatsoever so if you do back off the angle or you bring you stance closer. With thy said you def need some angle for torque and balance. Riding straight across with 0 angle can give you balance issues and cause the board to really be unsteady under foot. Also just ride with both at the same angles like mentioned it will help you be comfortable as you progress. Riding with one on less of an angle just prevents you from going switch down the road. So if you can do it from the start it will benefit you teremendously

Let me first ask you a couple a questions and help you get you dialed. For the most part it will be trial and error, but we can get you to the baseline.

I know it inappropriate to ask but what is you height and weight, and what board and bindings do you have. I ask because newer boards have different mounting specs compared to the older boards and the distance between binding mounting locations vary depending on if it's a newer board or older board.

There is a huge conception that wider is better but that is not always the case. Really depends on your riding style . I ride more of a stand up position where my buddies and my wife tend to ride more crouched down. So my stance is a bit narrower and believe it or not my 5 5 wife rides as far out as my 6 ft self because she really like to stay compact.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun

Last edited by swatguy; 07-18-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
TT Regular

I'm 5' 7" and 130 lbs, 49 years old and very athletic. My family bought me the Liquid Force Luna 133 board with Liquid Force Transit Boots from Overton's. I set the boots up in the middle hole positions (I had 3 choices of holes on front and back binds) and I tried to balance them with the same amount of board in front of toe and heel.

I have removed the front center fin and find that I'm finally starting to get more comfortable on my toeside edge, although I feel like I have to put forth way too much effort to go out into flats on my toe for some reason. I'm jumping one wake comfortably but my jump is often flatter than I anticipate it being.

I've been adjusting the angles of my bindings in past couple of days and just want to develop good postion so that I can progress to the next level. I'm trying really hard to jump W2W but no success yet. I'm landing fine, just not enough pop to clear the wake.

How short of rope should I try? I think our rope is 75' but I have it shortened to about 55'.

Thanks for your input.

Lisa

Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 PM
MC Devotee

You are on te right track in the stance department so angles are all that feel comfortable to you. Also that middle stance location is a good neutral spot. I encourage you to try and stay equal on both boots in the angles but if you feel a little too much pressure on you knew unless you plan on doing 180s or riding switch it won't hurt.

As far as the rope length that really depends. It sounds like you are trying to go wake to wake which the shorter the rope the easier. However your form may be a bit off. Depending on your speed, boat, and ballast setup you length will vary but in order to get the form down let out the rope to the farthest point where the wake is still clean and does not have a with froth or curl to it. Try taking really short approaches and stand tall when you hit the wake and it will pop u up. You won't clear the wake on the other side at all but it will give you feed back on when you are using the correct form, and prevent you from hitting the topside of the other wake......which is the worst part to hit as it is really hard. After you get that drill feeling good, move to the other side of the wake now jumping from what they call the inside out. This is now the landing portion side. So you are jumping from directly behind the boat out to the side using the wake. Again concentrate on standing tall and springing up. This again will hell with you timing and you will notice its is a bit harder to get air and you really need to time the pop right. After those shorten up the rope and go for it. Again speed and rope length are dependent on the boat and ballast combo.

As far as toe side. It will for sure be harder to edge out that way. You are fighting the gradual pull of the boat from the rope across your body, It will be noticeably harder. Make sure you keep the rope at you waist and don't bend over at just your waist to edge out toe side bend from your ankle up to your hips.

Hit up learnwake.com. Or grab Shaun Murrays The Book DVD. Both great tools as it sounds like you def want to progress.

On a side note not seeing you ride at all the most common mistake news make that I have encountered in my teaching is that when they are learning to go wake to wake they really cut hard and start way to wide. The then find themselves going too fast at the wake for their liking and kind of flatten out the board to slow down and that small little move looses all the line tension that helps create the pop. You should be able to clear the wake with only a 10-15 ft cut into the wake with proper form. As you get more comfortable that distance for Jair a wake to wake will shorten and you will be able to do it with a 5-7 foot cut.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun

Last edited by swatguy; 07-18-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
TT Regular

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm going to "re-read" this several times before hitting the water again tomorrow evening. You hit the nail on the head on several areas. Yes, when I'm on my toe, I'm fighting the gradual pull of the boat. I'm hoping to get stronger with time. And I'm also making the common mistake of swinging way out in the flat and charging back towards the wake with speed, yet still not doing the distance I need because my jump is too flat. I'm also getting physically fatigued doing it this way and have to stop my wakeboard session earlier than I mentally ready to stop.

Can't wait to get out there and try again. Thanks for the tips. I can't wait to throw some cool tricks like all the other guys on the lake. LOL

Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
...Hit up learnwake.com. Or grab Shaun Murrays The Book DVD....
I have both Shaun Murray's Detention 2012 and The Book DVD. If I had to choose one it would be The Book. There is a complete series and comes in a mobile version. See http://www.thebookdvd.com/dvds/mobile.htm.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
sounds like you could use some hands on personal training
where about in the south east are you, maybe I can shed some light a wakeboard instructor or at least someone thats willing to give some on the boat pointers
Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 AM
MC Devotee

Whoops yea. Shaun Murray has detention not The Book. I think Kyle Schmidt did The Book

Both are great. So I guess with learnwake that makes 3

Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM
TT Regular

I just said this morning that it's time for a "real life" professional instructor to help me before I develop some bad habits that are hard to undo.

I practiced my pop (very small at this time as I've never had good timing at any sport in my life) a gazillion times this weekend. However, after some serious "goating" from young 20 year old boys from the back of my boat on Saturday about "get some big air"....I squatted down in a chair like position and gave that rope a pretty good pull once I hit the top of the wake. Well....what I got was a little more than I was able to handle. I landed right square on top of the off side wake. The landing felt WAY harder than normal but I landed it fine and felt in control as I was crossing over the wake. I don't have a clue what happened next, must have caught my edge or something but I took a nasty face plant on the left side of my head, jerked me out of my front (left foot) binding and the last thing I remember was trying to turn myself over onto my back. I apparently blacked out momentarily. As the boat pulled up beside me I was conscious but seeing sparklies everywhere. It happened SO fast, without video I don't have a clue what I did wrong.

Wonder if there are any instructors in the Lake Tillery, Mount Gilead, NC (my Mastercraft lives at Lake Tillery) or the Raleigh area (I live outside of Raleigh)?