Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplv View Post
I should have more than pics in 2 weeks...
Interesting.....google search turns up nothing....MC is good at keeping this under wraps

*EDIT*: Except that mastercraft has trademarked "X46" on April 12th of this year. http://www.markhound.com/trademark/search/73gqNTzS7
Old 05-22-2013, 07:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
This is the entry level Porsche because it happens to be way cheaper than a new 911 cab. However at $50-$60k plus options for a 2 seat convertible, its still a fairly exclusive price.

Just googled and here are Porsche comments on an even cheaper car than the boxster.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84B04A20120513
I agree playing a 'value' card once can work, and going a second round can kill brand equity. Porsche can't do a Miata and MC shouldn't reprise the sportstar line. But, imagine Porsche sales if they dropped the Boxster/Cayman. They'd feel it since the two cars fuel their growth, driving more than half of Porsche dollar sales - staggering considering the price of a 911's. ('14 CaymanS looks amazing btw and doesn't seem to hurt their equity) I'm sure MC is feeling it after discoing the x1. If I were running the brand I'd be sure to have a crossover boat fill the high 50s price point. Not stripped, just simplified. Maintain cont. margin and run an up-sell strategy. Both horizon planning and lifetime value show it makes sense even if marketing durable goods varies some from the beverage brand I work on.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/po...lar-58874.html
Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 02 ProStar 197TT "Caddy H2O" & 1980 MC Stars & Stripes, "Boss Hoss"
Starting an entry level model or models can be good and bad at the same time. My company started this about 10 years ago when we released an entry level lawn mower and started selling them at Lowe's and Home Depot. It was good because we increased market share and found that when a person who purchased one of these entry level machines at the box stores went to buy again the vast majority went to one of our dealers and purchased a premium lawnmower. On the other hand, when people purchased one of the entry level mowers they expected the same quality as our premium line, which it wasn't. Now our entry level machines are of higher quality than most of the other machines sold at the box stores, but its still not the same as the premiums. This can lead to upset customers who will not repurchase.

I hope MC doesn't come with an entry level line. When you purchase an MC you are expecting top of the line, no substitutions...
Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
Based on what I know, the X-46 will likely take the shape of the new X-30 and X-Star. I.e., hips in the back.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter View Post
Based on what I know, the X-46 will likely take the shape of the new X-30 and X-Star. I.e., hips in the back.
WRONG! see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
I heard they found Sasquatch and were incorporating his DNA into the new hull. A 24 fter with a slalom wake better than the current PS197 and a price below what the price of an axis divided by the price of a tige multiplied by the cost of a moomba is. they even contracted austin powers to give it more mojo than the moomba has. Mojo 3.0... yeah baby yyyyeeeaaaahhhh
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
Skiers choice did this with the Moomba brand. They brought the Moomba line up almost up to par with there flagship line, Supra. Did the Supra sales suffer because the Moomba price point closed the gap? Only their accountant can say.

Margin, margin, margin MEople!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I think a budget line is a great play. Keeping it MasterCraft branded is a mixed bag.

Do some not realize Axis is produced on the same line as Malibu? Using the same layups, just less frills.

Lexus - Toyota - Scion
Malibu - Axis

Associating the brands builds consumer confidence while differentiating the brands can reduce consumer expectations or allow for more directed marketing. Scion is definitely geared to the more youthful buyer.
Technology is also narrowing the gap between IB and I/O hull performance.

MC needs to do something to maintain some level of volume. If volume falls too low, their dealer network shrinks which creates a downward cycle of less dealers and regional sales pockets. Lower sales drive prices ever higher if they are going to maintain any level of R&D.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by onejdgreen View Post
....On the other hand, when people purchased one of the entry level mowers they expected the same quality as our premium line, which it wasn't. Now our entry level machines are of higher quality than most of the other machines sold at the box stores, but its still not the same as the premiums. This can lead to upset customers who will not repurchase.

I hope MC doesn't come with an entry level line. When you purchase an MC you are expecting top of the line, no substitutions...
I think you have a good perspective/experience on what actually happens with an "entry" line product but I will offer up some thoughts on your comment of "not the same quality".

If you use the X1 as an example, I think you can LEAVE out a bunch of stuff for a base/value line of boats but keep the quality (hull, engine, vinyl, basic controls). In 2006 (I think), MC had an entry level X1 and from what I remember it was $39,995 with trailer. I would guess that boat today would be around $50k.

No swivel racks
No speed control (it may have had Master Cruise)
Low end strereo
It may have had two rear ballast or no ballast (can't remember)
Older tower

So value boat wise....
You can shave some price on a decent trailer (nothing fancy, just basic)
You can put after market ballast for a lot less than MC provides
You can use a basic old school tower
You can add racks, mirrors, etc. for alot less than MC provides
You can add stereo for a lot less than MC provides (and do it in increments)
You want underwater lights - add them your self
You want surf tabs - add them yourself
And for goodness sake, there is no need for a bunch of electronics - basic on/off lighted switches

All of the above adds up quick so I maintain that you can in fact provide MC quality at a reasonalble price - without a bunch of options and corresponding $$$.

Of course the target market for MC may not be the guy that can (and wants) to add a bunch of stuff themselves.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None :(
I think this is a good idea.. When I build a MC boat online specifically a X45 etc, I don't need all that electronics.. To me that is just stuff that can break that I can't fix myself.. I don't need a 7" touch screen display, a tower with 10k worth of stereo equip, heater, blah blah blah.. Just a nice boat with a good wake etc.. Before you know it you have 30k worth of "extras" lol.. I like this idea looking forward to seeing how it looks

US COAST GUARD!!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
Of course the target market for MC may not be the guy that can (and wants) to add a bunch of stuff themselves.
I would think this entire forum would argue that shouldn't be the case. Not sure how cutting holes in your boat, adding pp, etc would effect warranty.

I would however think this would slaughter retail on used mc's unless they attached a new "brand" to it