Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
LED Speaker Rings

I'm looking to add LED speaker rings to my boat. Does anyone have a recomendation.

I'm looking at these
http://www.bulletlines.com/Bullet-Li...Rings-p/89.htm

32 led lights per foot and the plexi does not look to be frosted but polished.

Or these

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xca...cat=265&page=1

They have 18 led lights per foot and plexi is frosted.

I have the led lights in the grills of my speakers already but I'm looking to add rings to the speakers as well.

They both are the same price and I'm curious what is better or what to buy. I'm not interested in building my own and I want to purchase pre made rings. Also is there a better brand out there that I'm missing.

I will need 3 pair/6 total for JL 7.7 marine

Are the rings pre drilled for speakers or do I have to drill through the plexi and risk cracking them? Tips on drilling if needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 AM
MC Maniac

Oh and here are my speakers I have now
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364286618.501909.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  50.2 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364286644.164725.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  29.8 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364286679.635232.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  18.8 KB

I think rings will be a nice final touch. Opinions please

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
I don't know what the intensity of the 32 / ft lights are or the 18 / ft ones. I'm wondering both vendors if would share the wattage of the lights with you.

The lower density looks like better craftsmenship and they seem to have more experience based on the number of pics they have. The guys from Earmark tend to provide good value on this forum, so for that reason they get my vote. If you have a problem, I think you'll get better support too.

Finally, brighter isn't always better, too much light makes it hard to drive at night. Would be great if you can only turn on the tower speaker lights.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft...aker_rings.htm

I went with those.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Kyle,
Take a close look at the BulletLines photos and count the LEDs. There are six 2" segments per foot with three LEDs per segment....EXACTLY like the Earmark LED rings. So neither is 32 LEDs per foot and both are 18 LEDs per foot. Identical light strips.
The Earmark rings use domestic acrylic versus acrylic from China. The domestic acrylic will not amber over time after UV exposure.
There is little chance of fracturing the Earmark diffuser ring during drilling if you follow the contained instructions. Earmark covers 'how to' in great detail.
The Earmark rings are servicable by using a compliant adhesive. Plus, they are 1/2" thick which permits RGB use.

David
Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
Kyle,
Take a close look at the BulletLines photos and count the LEDs. There are six 2" segments per foot with three LEDs per segment....EXACTLY like the Earmark LED rings. So neither is 32 LEDs per foot and both are 18 LEDs per foot. Identical light strips.
The Earmark rings use domestic acrylic versus acrylic from China. The domestic acrylic will not amber over time after UV exposure.
There is little chance of fracturing the Earmark diffuser ring during drilling if you follow the contained instructions. Earmark covers 'how to' in great detail.
The Earmark rings are servicable by using a compliant adhesive. Plus, they are 1/2" thick which permits RGB use.

David
Thanks for the info.

Both products are 1/2" thick. Both the same exact price. Do you know if Eric at the lewisville store has 6 7.7" blue rings. If he does I'll pick them up this week. Actually I'm passing by there today. It would be nice to bet them today.

David I have bought from Eric in Lewisville before and he has been a great help. I have also bought from Ken at bulletlines. I'm impressed with both customer service departments and the products. I will say I'm more of dealing face to face rather than cyber.

Let me know what you have and we can go from there.

I want a bright glow not a bunch of led beaming light rays.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Kyle,
I do not work at either Earmark location as I am strictly a technical advisor. However, you can get in touch with Joe, the Lewisville manager, at (214) 222-0974. Or Odin, who administrates the on-line store, at odin@earmarkcaraudio.com.

David
Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: SeaDoo 2011
Kyle, In order to have 32 led rings, they have to use 120 leds/M.. there's no other way around... You can PM me... I can work with you JL 7.7 speaker rings...
Old 03-26-2013, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: SeaDoo 2011
Here's the Wattage info.. Again I might be wrong and David can correct me If I'm wrong..

3528 SMD led light strip waterproof.

for 600 leds 5 meter (32 or more leds per ring depend on the speaker size)
Working power:48W/5Meter

for 300 leds 5 meters
Output power: 20-24W /5 Meter
Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 AM
MC Maniac

Went by earmark at lunch. Bought 6 rings. They are emailing me the led strips next week.

I have plenty of work with drilling the holes and finding a way to hide the wires that hook up in the speaker grills. I have to modify the speaker housing back to make the speakers mate flush on the rings. I have 10 pair of led wires that are on the. Basically the speaker casing on the back side needs to be trimmed or cut to allow the reroute of wires so the ring and speaker mate flush.

I'll take pics.

Quote:
Quote: