Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
If you still have the "surging and jumping" problem, it could be due to warped rotors. I had the same problem about 10 years ago with an almost brand new dual axle trailer. It turned out to be a badly warped rotor. It may have been defective to begin with, or warped from being dunked in the lake when the rotor was hot. Replaced the rotor and the problem went away. The problem was much worse when the trailer was empty than with the boat on it.
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the trailer needs to go back to the shop.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Update

So the trailer came back from the shop and the rotors were indeed warped (now repaired); however the trailer is still jumping (frequently) as I bring it to a stop. The diagnosis now is the "dampener" is shot and needs to be replaced. Because I have a 2010 trailer it was manufactured by "Reliable" who is out of business. The only solution from MC is replacing the entire actuator / tongue unit for $1100 (including painting). This would bring the trailer to current specs.

Very frustrating to pay a premium for a new boat and only get three seasons out of the trailer.

I understand the bad logic here; however is there such a thing as going to electric brake system on a boat trailer that is dunked?