Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
It would have to be a very large coincidence to have found these exposed wires and have them turn out to not be the problem. Good luck on the next road test.
agreed. considering the proximity (inches) to the safety cables and the amount of exposed wire (inch on both white and green)--I think it is nearly certain.

Finger's crossed!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:45 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
It would have to be a very large coincidence to have found these exposed wires and have them turn out to not be the problem. Good luck on the next road test.
Unfortunately my fixing the exposed wires did not cure the problem. I didn't tow the boat any distance, but I pulled it from the garage to detail / wash this weekend and the brakes locked up when I attempted to back it up.

I verified I have power to the female reciprocal on my 2010 F250... guessing the problem is in the plug or the actuator. Any thoughts?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Have you verified the lockout solenoid is working?

The surging while slowing down could be a bad spring in the actuator. In ski-me's picture, it would be that small grey spring. Do you trailer your boat a lot? I wouldn't imagine that spring would go bad in 2-3 years, but you never know.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:50 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I have not. What is the test for this?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramerman@gmail.com View Post
I have not. What is the test for this?
I don't know for sure, someone else can probably chime in. I'd imagine it involves verifying the solenoid is receiving voltage. If it gets power and is not locking out reverse, I'd replace the solenoid. You said you have power to the female portion at your truck, now you need to verify voltage at the solenoid to be sure it's making it all the way there.

What kind of trailer is it?

You may be able to hear the solenoid click by having someone shift the truck into reverse while you listen at the tongue of the trailer.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:05 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
I don't know for sure, someone else can probably chime in. I'd imagine it involves verifying the solenoid is receiving voltage. If it gets power and is not locking out reverse, I'd replace the solenoid. You said you have power to the female portion at your truck, now you need to verify voltage at the solenoid to be sure it's making it all the way there.

What kind of trailer is it?
2010 Mastercraft Trailer
Old 05-20-2013, 03:13 PM
MC Devotee

Has the backup problem become a constant issue, or will the trailer sometimes allow you to back up without issue?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 PM
TT Regular

Quote:

The surging while slowing down could be a bad spring in the actuator. In ski-me's picture, it would be that small grey spring. Do you trailer your boat a lot? I wouldn't imagine that spring would go bad in 2-3 years, but you never know.
I will have to look at Ski-Me's pix and look at the spring. Good advice.

I do trailer a lot. During the Summer we pull the boat 10+ x p/year about 3 - 4 hours to family vacation spot.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Has the backup problem become a constant issue, or will the trailer sometimes allow you to back up without issue?
The backup is an intermittent issue.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:44 PM
MC Devotee

Since it's intermittent, test the voltage to the solenoid sometime when the trailer brakes are locked up, and another time when they're working (not locked up). Have someone else just hold the brake pedal down in the truck so you can keep it in reverse and test the voltage to the solenoid. Does your trailer harness have a 5 prong connection between the truck/trailer? The idea behind the solenoid is that when the truck is put into reverse, it sends voltage through that 5th wire that activates the solenoid and locks the brakes out from engaging. If you have no other wiring issues, it sounds like a bad solenoid to me... but I'm new at this trailer brake thing, so I don't know that I'm qualified to answer all of these questions haha.

Also, does your trailer have any reverse lights on it? Are those lit up when the brakes are locked up? If the reverse lights on the trailer come on, but the brakes are still locked up, that would also point to a bad solenoid. If the brakes lock up, and the reverse lights are also off, that would point to some sort of wiring issue that isn't transferring current to that 5th wire. Just another thing to check.