Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
Trouble draining oil. '99 205v

I can't seem to get more than a slow, brief trickle from the oil drain hose on my boat. I warmed up the engine for about 10 minutes, then stuck the hose out the plug hole in the transom, unscrewed the cap, and a very slow trickle came out for about 10 seconds, then nothing. Checked for kinks in the hose, and opened up the oil cap, still nothing. Am I doing something wrong? I thought it would be a pretty straightforward process...
Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I drain mine this way, but I let it drain overnight because it does go slow.
Your other option is to buy a Mityvac evacuator and suck the oil out of the drain hose with it. (Everyone should own one of these anyway....very useful)

Name:  mityvac 7400.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  32.9 KB
Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Expressed the same thing to my dealer and they told me they leave them drain overnight because it is so slow. No clue how long it takes to warm the oil up. Half tempted to change the oil at the load ramp when it is hot from a couple hours hard running.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
Expressed the same thing to my dealer and they told me they leave them drain overnight because it is so slow. No clue how long it takes to warm the oil up. Half tempted to change the oil at the load ramp when it is hot from a couple hours hard running.
That's not a bad idea, it will take a while idling for the oil to warm up. A good 20 mins is what I give it when warming it up in the driveway.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
run the engine for 30 minutes, it will pour out fast

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Draining the oil, via drain hose, will never be as fast as removing the drain plug from say the engine in your car. The hose fitting, screws inside the oil pan fitting, therefore smaller inside diameter. In theory, older boats could have sludge buildup, reducing diameter more.

So, you can't increase the drain rate (much) by gravity/slope...just takes time.

Years ago, my dad's boat mechanic (i/o), would remove the drain plug... and let drain into the bilge and then out the boat drain! We had to soak the drain plug, in dish soap, so it would not pop-out of the hull!

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
run the engine for 30 minutes, it will pour out fast
He's correct, always change the oil with the boat warm and it will pour right out. I do have one of those sucker pumps, too, and they are nice. with the combination of the pump and a warm boat, I can change my oil in 10 minutes.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
He's correct, always change the oil with the boat warm and it will pour right out. I do have one of those sucker pumps, too, and they are nice. with the combination of the pump and a warm boat, I can change my oil in 10 minutes.
what i do is go out and ski/boat... go back to stall and start drain... leave it draining. when i go back out, i swap oil filters, plug it up and fill with 5.5 to 6.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
It's a little different with a v-drive. Even when warm, the oil doesn't pour out.

The first time I changed mine, I let it drain for 6 hours or so. I use a mityvac now.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Had this same issue- even after warmed up. Bought a 7$ harbor freight hand pump and had it emptied in 5mins.