Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190
Fuel/spark issue

I have been trying to figure out my ignition issue for a few days and I don't quite want to take it out of the water yet...my 89 tristar will crank but won't fire still...I have fuel in the bowl of the carb so its getting fuel so I don't think its the pump..starting fluid in the carb did nothing..so I'm thinking its ignition...how do you check the kill switch..maybe its that....would I get any cranking over if the kill switch was bad..just trying to get back on the water..I going down tonight to check if I have spark in the cap , rotor and ignition coil....is the ignition coil the black cylinder just below the cap that the center wire leads to!! sorry so many questions!!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 Indmar 351 Ford Windsor
ignition ciol is black cylinder...i just had the exact same issue and i needed A new distributor kit...it was 70$ and had all the parts to replace the rusty ones, and then started great. Ciols are cheap too to change for fun.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988prostar190 View Post
ignition ciol is black cylinder...i just had the exact same issue and i needed A new distributor kit...it was 70$ and had all the parts to replace the rusty ones, and then started great. Ciols are cheap too to change for fun.
Yes, been fighting same problem with a 2003 MC. Have spark, fuel and air, but weak spark. New distributor has solved the problem. Kill switch has been bypassed and hardwired.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988prostar190 View Post
Did you buy off skidim....kit includes cap, rotor, plugs , wires and coil ..right??
Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 AM
TT Regular

I checked spark and the spark is fine....fuel is getting to the carb..I think it might be the ignition switch (3rd position will not bring up fuel gauge at all) or the kill switch is shot....anybody have any issues with either problems before??!!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
If you are getting spark, the ignition switch and kill switch are working.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you are getting spark, the ignition switch and kill switch are working.
i think the 3rd position on the ignition switch is dead..is that possible...shouldn't I be able to check the fuel guage just by turning key to 3rd position?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon4 View Post
i think the 3rd position on the ignition switch is dead..is that possible...shouldn't I be able to check the fuel guage just by turning key to 3rd position?
Certainly possible to have a bad position on the ignition switch. Just mechanical contacts. You could test the switch with a voltmeter while you are using it, or with an ohmmeter with the power disconnected. With as cheap as the switch is, you could always just replace it. I am not a fan of throwing parts at anything, however you will have to replace that switch before long. You could look at it as preventive maintenance if it is not the problem.

Regarding the fuel gauge, I couldn't answer that question. No accessory position on my boat.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
I tend to agree that if you have spark, your ignition switch and kill switch are good. The kill switch usually breaks the ignition circuit but allows the engine to crank. That being said, you could still have a dirty wire connection or dirty contact in the ignition switch causing a small voltage drop. Low ignition circuit voltage will cause a weak spark.

Did you check for spark at EACH plug wire and have someone crank the engine over?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
I tend to agree that if you have spark, your ignition switch and kill switch are good. The kill switch usually breaks the ignition circuit but allows the engine to crank. That being said, you could still have a dirty wire connection or dirty contact in the ignition switch causing a small voltage drop. Low ignition circuit voltage will cause a weak spark.

Did you check for spark at EACH plug wire and have someone crank the engine over?
I have not checked each wire yet..I will