Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 06:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
new boat, old gas

I'm going to start up my new-to-me 1992 PS 205 this evening. It was supposedly "professionallly serviced" by a dealer in IL last fall; I hope that means an appropriate amount of Stabil was added to the tank, which is about 1/4 full of gas.

Since I have no idea what kind of gas is in there, I'm thinking about adding an appropriate amount of Seafoam and starting her up. I will then top off the tank with fresh fuel and add some more Stabil.

Any additional advice?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
How old is the gas?

If it is from last year, your method is fine.

Otherwise, drain the tank and use for the lawn mower or add back slowly over time to get rid of it.

We drained the tank on the 190 we bought last fall as it had 2 gallons of gas and 4 gallons of stabil!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I would check to see if all fuel filters look new. I plus 1 on the idea of Seafoam - get some good gas and top it off. The question is which dealer in IL
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
The question is which dealer in IL
It was Cope Marine in Ofallon. I understand that they have a couple of a stores, should be doing reputable work.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
I'm going to start up my new-to-me 1992 PS 205 this evening. It was supposedly "professionallly serviced" by a dealer in IL last fall; I hope that means an appropriate amount of Stabil was added to the tank, which is about 1/4 full of gas.

Since I have no idea what kind of gas is in there, I'm thinking about adding an appropriate amount of Seafoam and starting her up. I will then top off the tank with fresh fuel and add some more Stabil.

Any additional advice?
I would take a fuel sample before running it, if I had doubts about the fuel quality. You can get a primer bulb and draw some into a clean, clear bottle. Let it rest for a while and see if any water settles out. If it does, it's probably best to look into the tank to see how bad it really is. If it's cloudy with a clear layer on top, it won't be made better by adding Stabil or Sea Foam. This condition is called 'phase separation' and won't be reversed.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
The phase separation cannot be reversed, but you can add a product called X2 which will allow the water, if any to mix and completely burn out. Stabil and Seafoam will not do this. Only certain places even sell the stuff though. If you don't have water in the gas then I would just Seafoam as planned and mix with good gas as previously mentioned. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
The phase separation cannot be reversed, but you can add a product called X2 which will allow the water, if any to mix and completely burn out. Stabil and Seafoam will not do this. Only certain places even sell the stuff though. If you don't have water in the gas then I would just Seafoam as planned and mix with good gas as previously mentioned. Good luck!
how about dilithium crystals.. I heard Spock say they prevent phase separation in a temporal anomaly...