Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 PS205/1999 Manitou 24' party barge
To pink or not to pink

Doug, Thanks for posting the winterize checklist! I've winterized all my boats over the years. outboats, 2 MC's, runabouts and have never added the pink RV antifreeze. I've stored in serious cold weather too. Is it needed? Pro/con's? Thx!
Old 09-28-2005, 03:27 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Mitch, I need to upgrade that a bit. The pink stuff reference was from a really old JimN post and may have related to the LT1. Is it the RV antifreeze? Propylene glycol is what I recall being preferred. So pink or green or what, I don't know and need to upgrade that list. Just remember, I'm no mechanic and before you put something in your engine, you should consult one.

At any rate, I store indoors in Texas and don't use antifreeze at all. Most of the boat dealers around here do it just to CYA. The last one that winterized my boat used green AF.

One thing I've heard about antifreeze apart from the obvious is that it helps prevent corrosion. Now I know I have some rust already, so I'm not worrying about it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
I think the pink stuff is supposed to be EPA friendly so when everyone starts their boat in the lake come springtime, it doesn't kill everything in the lake.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 PM
MC Hero

Then that would be the "propelene glycol." I still think conventional wisdom dictanes that you don't spew it into the lake, no matter how tasty it is.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:51 PM
MC Devotee

That may be true, but I don't think it's nearly as toxic...... even the dogs die off after drinkin the green stuff!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:05 PM
MC Hero

True, but even so, try to prove it to the water cops when they see you blow something other than water out of your pipes and into the lake. "But officer, it was the non-toxic type."

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 09-28-2005, 05:36 PM
MC Devotee

They don't have the budget to be on the lake anyway. Not to mention my pipes are underwater.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:38 PM
MC Hero

Alrighty then. Let's pour jugs of the stuff into the lake and see what happens.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 09-29-2005, 10:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 PS205/1999 Manitou 24' party barge
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
Mitch, I need to upgrade that a bit. The pink stuff reference was from a really old JimN post and may have related to the LT1. Is it the RV antifreeze? Propylene glycol is what I recall being preferred. So pink or green or what, I don't know and need to upgrade that list. Just remember, I'm no mechanic and before you put something in your engine, you should consult one.

At any rate, I store indoors in Texas and don't use antifreeze at all. Most of the boat dealers around here do it just to CYA. The last one that winterized my boat used green AF.

One thing I've heard about antifreeze apart from the obvious is that it helps prevent corrosion. Now I know I have some rust already, so I'm not worrying about it.
Doug, Was thinking, you prolly need a reference about draining ballast systems in the winterize doc. I assume there is an MC santioned method. I lost a ballast pump the 1st year, so I'm no expert, and a friend of mine (ex-Malibu employee) put my system in and the venting/draining/filling method is based on the MLS (Malibu Launch System) . I'm told it's different from MC's design.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:44 PM
MC Hero

Since I don't have one, I don't know how to do it. Sort of like the showers though I guess. If you've got 'em, drain 'em.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club