Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-12-2013, 03:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Stereo Trouble Shooting

Hi Guys,
Brought the boat to life today and connected the battery. Decided to try the stereo and it came on for few seconds and now my amps are kicking out and the protection red light is flashing in the amp. The displays on my head unit and wired remote are also flashing on and off. Also there is no music output when it goes into this mode. If I wait for a while and key on the stereo will work again for a few seconds and then go into this protection mode. I am totally confused. The battery is fully charged. I checked in the gauge and with a multi meter. 12.4 volts.

I have changed nothing. Just connected the battery after very long off season. Let me know what you guys think I should check.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Just for the heck of it I hooked it up to the charger again.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:11 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Just for the heck of it I hooked it up to the charger again.
Charge the battery without being connected to the boat. That way, if anything is trying to operate, it won't draw from the charger/battery. If the battery is a few years old and has gone totally dead on more than one occasion, take it to Batteries Plus or some other place that can test it to verify its condition.

Clean your battery posts and the cable ends.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Ok. Will try all this morning.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Ok. I know my power is good. Measures it at the amps and I also hooked the boat and system up to another battery. Still goes into protect mode after about 10 seconds. I also connected a known identical good amp from my pontoon and it also went into protection mode. Totally confused.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
During the 10 secs before shutdown are you getting music? I would try isolating each component by disconnecting the line level cables between them. Then see if there's still a problem with just one component. You may also want to do this on the power side as well. The goal is to see if one particular item is the source of the problem. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Ok. I know my power is good. Measures it at the amps and I also hooked the boat and system up to another battery. Still goes into protect mode after about 10 seconds. I also connected a known identical good amp from my pontoon and it also went into protection mode. Totally confused.
If it's only the amps, shut the head unit off and measure the voltage across the amplifier's terminals. If you see less than what you measure at the battery posts, you have corroded or bad connections, or internal problems. My bet is on corroded/bad connections.

What wire gauge feeds the amps and how it is distributed? If the known good amp goes intp protection, it's either a bad speaker/wire or bad power. Disconnect the speaker(s) from that amp and see if it stays on- if it does, check the speaker's DC resistance. If that's OK, check the speaker wires- did you see any evidence of rodents? They like to chew on wires. For that matter, cats and dogs do, too.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Ok guys, I finally got it figured out and I am going to share my experience because I am sure I am not the only one whom will experience this with the combination of accessories I have.

First off, the equipment install and maintenance is lets say a little over the top so corrosion, wrong equipment, or otherwise was out of the question. So I took a lot of your advice and got my multimeter out and started to pick it apart.

I really knew it was the power supply to the amplifiers that was causing the issue because like I stated above, I connected a known amplifier with zero connection to any speakers and still had the issue. Once I checked all the power and connections from the battery, to larger fuseable link, to the distribution blocks, and then to the amplifiers. No issues with the power and ground. Next I measured the small key to power on wires from the head unit to the amplifiers and noticed the power supply to the amps was changing from 12V to 6V when the head unit and wired remote would start to flashing dislay and blank display when the amplifier was also signalling protection mode. What I also noticed was that my wired remote on the drivers seat had a continous light, but blank display while the head unit would flashing the tuner/radio station and then to lit display that was blank. I inspected the remote connnections and it looked fine. Next I crawled under the glove box and started inspection all the wiring and all was good. So, I started think I had defective head unit and a ruined wired remote too. Things started to add up in my head and started to cringe. Also, I must note that I also have the RF wireless remote that I added with a Y splitter last season. I decided as a last resort to see what would happen if I disconnected the Y splitter from the main connection to the head unit and viola, amps stayed on , music played, and no flashing head unit. Next, I connected only the wired remote to the head unit and it started function fine. Next, I tried connecting the wireless RF remote bundle and the problems came back!! So the conclusion was I have an issue with the wirless RF remote that I will be calling Clarion about today.

Clarion Components
CMD6 Head Unit
MW1 wired remote
MF1 wireless remote

I will let you know what I hear from Clarion.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:24 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Master, XStar,2006,Crusader 8.1HO,SSeries,1989 Tristar220
What did you find out from Clarion if anything? I just installed newly purchased CMD6 on XStar and upgraded remote to MW1 and 8 pin cable. All that time to install and the wireless remote doesn't work, and none of the buttons on MW1 wired remote work stereo head unit seems to work fine. Tried new battery in wireless, and hard button resets and system checks multiple times. Searching threads on other boards for solutions sure seems like the CMD6 head units may have some remote issues wired or not.