Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-14-2013, 07:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...coolant&page=5 Read the entire thread. Post 49 shows the coolant flow.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
I would love for someone to explain and/or correct my understanding of the water flow from lake to exhaust on the LT1! (no heater and no shower)

Here is what I know so far:

-into boat via inlet port in hull
-pass trans cooler
-into raw water pump pass impeller
-up into mixing unit where some slips pass closed 140T to cool manifold but majority goes into main water pump
-main water pump and into block and heads
-at 160 water temp main thermostat opens sending hot water back to mixer
-after mixing if water temp is above 140...thermostat opens and out to manifolds, otherwise back into main water pump
You have it pretty well understood. When the water goes into the back of the mixing unit, as much water as possible goes through a 1/2" or so hole into the front side of the mixer and into the manifolds. Water really can't go into the block at that point because the thermostat is closed and the block is already full of water. Some will go through the drilled hole in the thermostat and some will go out the steam vents. Water should start coming out the exhaust flaps soon after starting the engine.

When the engine thermostat opens, water will enter the circulating water pump inlet which will force an equal amount out the circulating water pump outlet and into the back side of the mixer. The water going into the engine will now be "mixed" water. When the mixer thermostat gets to 140, it opens allowing more water to the front of the mixer and out the manifolds.

The thing to remember is all water exits via the manifolds and any water going into the circulating water pump replaces an equal amount coming out of the circulating water pump.

That's the way I understand it anyway.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Another question from a new owner of a 96 Prostar with LT1.

I have seen pictures with hose bibs on top of mixing unit, in front of main water pump.

Is this used to run boat on hose? If so, do people remove impeller to run this way?

Thanks
That hose bib is for the heater only. Open it up to flow water to the heater core. It's not a great location for hot water since it is coming off the mixer.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Just when I thought that I was understanding the water flow for the LT1...blackcreek attached the image below and I had to start over, as I was thinking that the housing, (@ 160T), was an outlet for hot water, (like most cars), when it really is an inlet for mixed and/or cold water. The olny thing that I am still not fully understanding is how the 160T can be closed and still let water pass into circulating pump. This must be where the drilled part comes into play...however, if closed, how do the hole/s let enough pass into circulation pump.

Last edited by mgs96ps; 01-08-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Just when I thought that I was understanding the water flow for the LT1...blackcreek attached the image below and I had to start over, as I was thinking that the housing, (@ 160T), was an outlet for hot water, (like most cars), when it really is an inlet for mixed and/or cold water. The olny thing that I am still not fully understanding is how the 160T can be closed and still let water pass into circulating pump. This must be where the drilled part comes into play...and how the drill hole/s let enough pass if closed.
The circulating pump is sucking water out of the block and pushing it back in the heads any time the engine is running. Just like a car circulates the water through the engine even when the thermostat is closed, so does your boat.

The thermostat on your boat just opens to allow "outside" water into the circulating system. On your car, the thermostat opens to allow water to flow through the radiator.