Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post
Correction... 6 weeks. Dropped it off on March 29.
wow... that's a long time to be working on a boat... a really long time. Have they localized where the noise is coming from? they should have a stethascope style thing that they can listen to the engine with and at least tell where it's coming from...
Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
wow... that's a long time to be working on a boat... a really long time. Have they localized where the noise is coming from? they should have a stethascope style thing that they can listen to the engine with and at least tell where it's coming from...
Good question. My hunch is that they don't because he has just been telling me how hard it s been to locate the problem which is why they've had to take it apart. He said if they can't find the problem after taking engine out, he said they'd send the engine to another mechanic shop.

He said that they are equiped to handle most engine issues, major surgery isn't necessarily what they do so they would have to outsource that. To me, all I'm hearing is money flying out the door.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Prostar 205
are you sure that the spark pluge that they put in are not to long and were not hitting the pistons.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
He said they pulled the heads already. So eliminates spark plug interference.
IF they actually removed the heads??
IMO top end and injectors "click". Nothing in the bottom end clicks if its effed up. It knocks or clunks!
If they got you for 15+ hrs already and haven't used a simple stethoscope they are idiots. End of story.
Hope this turns out well but sounds like you're being taken for a ride.
So what's the noise sound like? You hear it run yet?

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post
Good question. My hunch is that they don't because he has just been telling me how hard it s been to locate the problem which is why they've had to take it apart. He said if they can't find the problem after taking engine out, he said they'd send the engine to another mechanic shop.

He said that they are equiped to handle most engine issues, major surgery isn't necessarily what they do so they would have to outsource that. To me, all I'm hearing is money flying out the door.
To add to my last comment. They are giving you the runaround. Can't see anything by just pulling the engine unless you remove the oil pan but they're gonna outsource that ?
You can look into the cylinders with a bore scope. That and a comp ck will tell a lot. No need to even pull the heads.
Can someone help this guy out?
Pulling the engine is the dumbest thing one coould do before isolating the noise. Then it can't be run.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-10-2013, 01:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
My truck had a clicking (more noticeable on idle). The clicking was more apparent when engine was cold. It turned out they replaced the manifold - clicking gone. Not sure if this helps, but just another idea.

I agree... If the problem gets worse while the dealer has possession, then they need to address it and not nickle and dime you to death.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 05-10-2013, 01:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x30
You have to wonder if they ran the engine with no oil by mistake, and only realized it after it was too late.

I worked at a shop for a while and had a guy run an engine to bring it to temp and check the level, it took about 5 minutes to realize there was a problem.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
To add to my last comment. They are giving you the runaround. Can't see anything by just pulling the engine unless you remove the oil pan but they're gonna outsource that ?
You can look into the cylinders with a bore scope. That and a comp ck will tell a lot. No need to even pull the heads.
Can someone help this guy out?
Pulling the engine is the dumbest thing one coould do before isolating the noise. Then it can't be run.
They do plan to remove the oil pan in their own shop but if no problem is found at that point, they will send to a different mechanic. Regardign gettign the run around, I've had this dealership do other minor work and they have always been straight with me. I can sense the frustration on his part of not beign able to find and fix the issue since it looks bad on his part and he knows his rep is on the line. So I do believe they are just getting stumped. The whole deal stinks though

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjames View Post
My truck had a clicking (more noticeable on idle). The clicking was more apparent when engine was cold. It turned out they replaced the manifold - clicking gone. Not sure if this helps, but just another idea.

I agree... If the problem gets worse while the dealer has possession, then they need to address it and not nickle and dime you to death.
I believe they removed manifolds and they looked good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzettler83 View Post
You have to wonder if they ran the engine with no oil by mistake, and only realized it after it was too late.

I worked at a shop for a while and had a guy run an engine to bring it to temp and check the level, it took about 5 minutes to realize there was a problem.
This would be worrisome if this occured here but I'll toss it out to him and see how he reacts.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Prostar 205
here is another idea that i havent seen yet. does the engine have hydraulic lifters? they tick when one has collapsed.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Agree with the earlier comments about bottom ends are clunks and knocks, top end produces lighter noises in the valvetrain. Only small possibility is a flexplate cracked maybe, otherwise lifters? Clutching at straws but geez low hours for any problem. Have fun