Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Engine expert opinions wanted - L18 big block

I took my boat in to my local Mastercrfat dealership for a regular oil change, replace spark plugs and to get some cosmetic work done. The Dealership tells me it sounded fine when it got there, but after they replaced the plugs, they fired it up and heard an unsettling clicking noise in the engine and they have spent the past 6 weeks trying to diagnose it to no avail.

Next step is to remove the engine so they can get to the underside and remove oil pan etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions I could relay to the dealership. This situation is costing me SERIOUS cash and time on the water and this money so far has all gone to trying to diagnose and not to fix. Engine has 320 hrs I think.

Last edited by jdl xstar; 05-10-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: been in shop 6 weeks, not 4
Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post
I took my boat in to my local Mastercrfat dealership for a regular oil change, replace spark plugs and to get some cosmetic work done. The Dealership tells me it sounded fine when it got there, but after they replaced the plugs, they fired it up and heard an unsettling clicking noise in the engine and they have spent the past 4 weeks trying to diagnose it to no avail.

Next step is to remove the engine so they can get to the underside and remove oil pan etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions I could relay to the dealership. This situation is costing me SERIOUS cash and time on the water and this money so far has all gone to trying to diagnose and not to fix. Engine has 320 hrs I think.
Why is the dealership charging you, to me it sounds like they screwed up, Even you say that they said they say it ran fine when they took custody then they work on it now it's jacked.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

I was a mechanic many years, and I have seen boats come in the door fine, and develop other problems while being ran at the shop, through no fault of the mechanic. The odds aren't good of it happening, but it does happen. However, Diagnostic should be one flat fee, ESPECIALLY if the problem developed while they had the boat. It's hard to have any idea of what's gone wrong with that amount of information, and certainly without the boat in front of me. Good luck, it's always sour news when the boat has problems...
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Wonder what dropped into one of the cylinders! If their original comment is accurate about being fine before changing spark plugs, seems like you would want to pull the heads before you drop the oil pan.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
Wonder what dropped into one of the cylinders! If their original comment is accurate about being fine before changing spark plugs, seems like you would want to pull the heads before you drop the oil pan.
I'd tell them to start with that too...
Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
clicking?

lifter maybe? valve spring? I'd definitely take the heads off before removing the whole engine.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
They did this and the heads checked out fine. They have essentially taken apart everything that is accessible while engine is in place and everything checked out fine. Now they are removing it to diagnose the hard to reach areas.

I agree with the flat fee comment and I'll bring that up with him. I mean, they are charging me full shop rate to poke around with nothing to show for it.

I was wakeboarding the weekend prior to taking it in and it ran perfectly fine. Took it WOT for the hell of it and hit normal speeds.

Funny because when I first dropped it of, I declined on a new $150 decal and now the bill is 10X that and growing with nothing to show.

I wish their mechanics would get on here to tap into the knowledge base.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
Please keep us posted.... Sad to hear of an engine with only 320 hours with such a problem.... I cannot believe a MasterCraft dealership cannot diagnose the problem in that amount of time....

Hook Em' Horns
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncotw View Post
Please keep us posted.... Sad to hear of an engine with only 320 hours with such a problem.... I cannot believe a MasterCraft dealership cannot diagnose the problem in that amount of time....
Thanks and totally agree. I have voiced my disappointment in the length of this process and he assured me that his mechanics are very experienced with this engine and they aren't just learning ont he fly.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM
MC Devotee

Correction... 6 weeks. Dropped it off on March 29.