Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 x2
boat house pricing

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/3787198686.html

I'm paying about 6k a year for a slip with lift on this lake so in 5 years id essentially pay this off anyways. I've never owned a boat house and have no idea what there worth............anyone have any experience purchasing a boat house before, is this a legit price?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
are you wanting ownership or the right to have a boathouse on the shore of Lewi?
what you have the is the right of way/permit, the land is owned by the ACOE
Whats the accessibility to this boathouse and who is leasing the land, when does the lease end?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

ill have to call and ask, see these are the things i need to know to ask, thanks for reply
Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Like most things in life, the value is what you could sell it for.
There are advantages to having a private dock without land such as no land to maintain or property tax to worry about (since it sits on federal water, you don't have to pay state taxes from what I understand). There are disadvantages such as having to do your own dock maintenance and moving the dock in and out with the lake level. You should check with your local Corp of Engineer office regarding any restrictions on the dock in question and make sure that they will allow it to remain in it's present location indefinitely (assuming this a Corp lake, if not then need to find out who manages the shoreline). It would probably cost about 15k to build the dock so you are paying about 15k for the permit - maybe about right on price. I have thought about this option on my own lake, I hate the thought of paying $150 a month year round for a public dock.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
I had a stationary dock built at my lake house about 3 years ago, no lift installed as yet. The cost ran about $13000. A floating dock would have been a couple thousand higher, but our place doesn't require permitting, as the property has only a 10 foot right of way for county residents to fish the bank and few floaters exist there. I hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
Assuming you live close before you put much time and energy into research I would go look at the dock now with the lake down 5 feet or so to see how usable it is?

You certainly need to ask all the ownership and right of way, etc, etc questions. But, if the water depth is not good, it would be much less interesting.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
what would it cost to remove the existing structure and build something suitable for a boat with a tower build a deck on top or space with overnight amenities, whats the maximum SqFt allowed?
don't think you'll find electric to the boathouse so a generator is the only choice for power if permitted
Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

i guess i was being naive thinking i would own it without all that expense and it said had permit so assumed it was for life. now its starting to look like a potential pain in the arse, but I'm going to cruise by it and see how deep the water is this weekend. water and electric would be essential as i would want fridge/tv/lighting for night use not to mention a lift if it didn't have one.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
I would not do it. I had a slip at Silver Lake Marina on Lake Grapevine for 6 years and a buddy had a private boat house on the north side of the lake. He spent way more money than I ever did and he was always asking for my help fixing something. He also constantly worried about moving it in and out with the lake level changes and had it broken into numerous times, 4 times in one month, so he was always hauling everything but the boat with him every time he used it.