Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
MIrror Thumb Screw

I installed a PTM Edge mirror as part of my spring upgrades and noticed that the tower arm had some movement to it which caused the MCOCD to go nuts in me. I started to take the easy route and tried to tighten the thumb screw which did nothing to stabilize the arm. Moving on I decided to remove the thumb screw to see is something else had worm. What I ended up with was the thumbscrew button in my hand and the threaded portion still in the mirror bracket. This is the first time I've tried to removed the thumb screw and can't remember if the threaded portion should have came out with the button. I can't see a way to remove the mirror arm without that threaded rod coming out. Am I missing something here? Has anyone else experienced this?

My thought is that galling has taken place between the SS threaded rod and the aluminum bracket. If this is the case has anyone come up with a way to get that threaded rod out? If this is not the case how are you supposed to remove the arm?

I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but I may not be seeing the forest for the trees on this one and thought I'd see what others knew first before jumping in with vise grips and die grinders.......
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Get 2 nuts, thread the first on, then the second, you can then wrench it out using the first nut. Common problem on those knobs including the tower. After you get it out, put some red lock-tight on the threaded knob end. Also, helps to lift a bit on the mirror arm, the length of it puts some stress on the threads.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
Get 2 nuts, thread the first on, then the second, you can then wrench it out using the first nut. Common problem on those knobs including the tower. After you get it out, put some red lock-tight on the threaded knob end. Also, helps to lift a bit on the mirror arm, the length of it puts some stress on the threads.
Bump - did it work?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM
MC Devotee

Haven't been able to get back to the boat yet. It'll probably be the weekend if I'm lucky. Between the rain and the Hallmark holiday I may even get shut out this weekend. Just knowing the treaded portion was supposed to come out with the knob will get me started in the right direction. Hopefully I'll have a couple nuts that will fit and I'll be able to get this done quickly.

I had about four items to repair from my first shake down. I got those all done the last time I was out. Now I just need to get this one done and I should be looking pretty good for the season.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I have some trouble with my ptm edge vibrating due to some play there the mirror arm disconnects from the tower mount. I put a couple of pieces of rubber shelf liner in there and it seemed to help for a little while, but the vibration is back. I need to find something to fix it.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 PM
MC Devotee

Yep same here. I'm going to go with urethane windshield bedding in that joint as soon as I'm able to get the stud out. The stuff comes in rolls and is used between the windshield and the frame. I'm thinking it should dampen an vibrations while eliminating and play in that joint. I just need to make time to get to the boat and get to it.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Mine did the same.
I just loctited the thumb screw back on and removed it the following day.
It held for over a year but now I haven't had the mirror off in a cpl years.
Once you get it apart, loctite the pins in too. Those tend to fall out at in opportune times

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 AM
MC Devotee

Still haven't made it back to the boat. The weekend sucked. Temp fell off to the 30s at night and low 50s during the day with high winds and showers popping up. If the weather holds we're supposed to try again tomorrow. I'm going to try to get out there early and take a crack at it again. This has been a pretty lame spring for us so far.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
Same thing happened to my knob. Will try the locktite route. Thought it was just me.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 05-14-2013, 09:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
I took mine to a machine shop and had them drill from inside the clamp that mounts to the tower. They then threaded the arm portion and put in a large bolt that cannot be seen. This was the only way I could stop it from vibrating.