Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1967 Bertram 20'
Best way to Secure Extended Pylons on a S&S

Hey guys I'm wondering what your thoughts are on where to place the strap on the flite poles/Skylons etc. on a '85 S&S. I've seen them attached to the eye on top of the bow behind the marker lights and I've seen them with the strap running around the nose of the bow and over the rub rails.
Here is the deal-- Does the rub rail do well with the strap running over it and not getting distorted and/or can the "eye" on top of the bow handle the task without getting pulled loose and ruining the fiberglass around it?

I looked at a S&S recently that had that eye's mounting pulled loose and looked like it had been abused but I have no idea what may have caused it.

Thanks for your input!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I run the strap on my prostar around nose. I thought of using the lifting eye - but that eye was design to lift up on to be pulled back. IMO
Old 05-08-2013, 12:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Mike's right, use the bow eye. I have used my B.I. Fly High for several years without any marks to the rub-rail. Using the bow eye allows the bow of the boat to take the strain rather than just the lifting ring.

If you really wanted to use the bow eye, there is a thread on here where the bow eye was connected to the lifting ring with a fabricated steel plate.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***