Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
pulling mastercraft on road

a few more questions as I am getting closer to my first MC

Do you guys pull with no cover, the boat I am looking at has the original MC cover but I have found with my I/O's that pulling with no cover has worked the best.

anything else I should consider also - about 600 mile pull
Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 197 ProStar 2002
I tow with a cover. Max trip is 700 miles round tip.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Definitely carry a torque wrench and check the lug bolts a few times within the first 100 miles, and maybe a time or two after that. Check the oil/grease level in the hubs, and feel the hubs with your hand whenever you stop comparing them for equal temps and not too hot. Strap the boat down! Check the condition of tires very carefully and check pressure. When I towed my mc 540 miles last year I did not have it covered. I had just bought it and it did not have a cover (was garage kept).
Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Floor jack and spare. Most car jacks won't do the boat on a trailer. Duct tap, just because you should always have duct tape.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 1985 PowerSlot 351 Ford
There are differences in covers, some are roadable and some not. I've had original MC covers for both my boats, 1985 and X-1. I generally tow without the cover unless I am also using the boat to haul stuff for a vacation trip. Many fewer headaches not using the cover. And a LOT less stress/damage to the cover. My 1985 original canvass cover lasted the entire 24 years I owned the boat.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X15 350 MCX
Congrats on your first MC uplander!

I only pull with the cover if it's raining. I had to do some patch work this winter on my cover (2010 X15) due to a tear from the stress of towing of the rear middle strap. Typically (depending upon year, make, model) there are 3 straps with plastic clips on the rear of the boat. One connects with the foot step in the center and the other two connect with the eye loops on each side.

Part of my problem could have been how tight I had the rear straps but I'm not sure. So, if you are going to trailer with the cover, just make sure to leave a little slack in the 3 rear straps. If you have tension it can cause a tear.

Thankfully, I called Mastercraft and they sent me several yards of replacement material so that I could do some patchwork.

The ratchet covers are awesome. But, just like everything else on our MCs, a replacement can get co$tly. So... just take care of the one you have and you won't have to buy a new one.

I say trailer without!

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
this is a great site, thanks for reminder on straps for back I am not sure they have any. I have two hydraulic jacks, two 4 way spanners, some 2x4's and some 4x4's. I have a grease gun but I am not sure how the hubs work on this trailer I am kinda going blind on a few things, I would assume it would have bearing buddy's or something similar. I think I am pulling naked like I have with my other boats and if rain I stop and cover. I am glad I posted I would have forgotten the straps.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post

Do you guys pull with no cover, the boat I am looking at has the original MC cover but I have found with my I/O's that pulling with no cover has worked the best.

Check the sidewalls and if there is any hint of dry rot replace them.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post

Also make sure they are ST rated tires as these are proper trailers tires
Old 05-07-2013, 09:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I never pull with cover unless raining. 600 miles, if you have a tower, wrap it in plastic. Obviously check the bearings, tires, and know the replacement parts.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams