Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-24-2017, 09:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2010 x15
Piggy back - cracked tank / vacuum issues

I've read about people having issues cracking hard tanks with piggy backed bags due to a vacuum created by the collapsed bags blocking the vent line when draining.

Is this a real concern?

Has anyone tried putting something in the bag (maybe some extra smaller diameter hose, plastic balls or something else to keep the bag from sticking together and creating a blocked vent???
Old 04-24-2017, 10:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike185 View Post
I've read about people having issues cracking hard tanks with piggy backed bags due to a vacuum created by the collapsed bags blocking the vent line when draining.

Is this a real concern?

Has anyone tried putting something in the bag (maybe some extra smaller diameter hose, plastic balls or something else to keep the bag from sticking together and creating a blocked vent???
Just install a tee with check valve venting to atmosphere between tank and bag.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Just install a tee with check valve venting to atmosphere between tank and bag.
This is how MC now vents the tanks.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2010 x15
Makes sense, thanks! Funny the wakemakers and waterski kits do not include these....
Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 07 X-Star MCX
So the check valve on the tee lets air into the tank but doesn't allow water to come out?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
On the new piggy back systems do they have a hose from the check valve to a thru-hull port, or are they just letting it pull air from inside the hull? I'm considering adding this so that I don't cracks tank but don't want to drill a hole through the side of my boat. I might be inclined to put the check valve high inside with no vent to outside of the hull and hope the check valve doesn't leak.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:33 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet_on_black View Post
So the check valve on the tee lets air into the tank but doesn't allow water to come out?
That's the idea.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:34 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy570 View Post
On the new piggy back systems do they have a hose from the check valve to a thru-hull port, or are they just letting it pull air from inside the hull? I'm considering adding this so that I don't cracks tank but don't want to drill a hole through the side of my boat. I might be inclined to put the check valve high inside with no vent to outside of the hull and hope the check valve doesn't leak.
I can't speak for the new systems but I know that I wouldn't add a through hull, no reason too. For example, your engine draws a much large volume of air from within the boat.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I can't speak for the new systems but I know that I wouldn't add a through hull, no reason too. For example, your engine draws a much large volume of air from within the boat.
Yeah I wasn't worried about air volume. I was more just curious if the new ones had it. I'm more concerned with the check valve failing and ending up with water filling my bilge. Again if I were to do it I'd put the check valve up high so in the event of a failure it would leak a smaller about of water. In reality the valve itself could be low if just need a hose got by up higher the the top of the fat sack when it's full.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy570 View Post
Yes, they use a 1/2 lb., spring type check valve right off the top of the tank with a hose to a thru hull fitting. The reason for the thru hull is that if the check valve were to fail you wouldn't fill your bilge with ballast water.

Last edited by Skyskiguy; 04-25-2017 at 10:26 PM.