Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Be polite to the jet skiers

It's hard for me to believe that I am posting this, but we had a few jet skiers on our semi private site today. It happens sometimes and they tend to mess up the water when they get too close to the course. When I saw them at the ramp, I had that sinking feeling, but smiled and moved the boat out of the way so they could unload first. I made small talk and told them I hope they enjoyed their day.

Sure enough, a couple of my passes had some rougher than usual water. But I just smiled. Just glad to be at the lake.

So my son is in the water. We're working on skiing without the bar on the trainers. His second try and I'm bringing the rope to him, or so I think. Uh, oh. For the first time in over ten years of boating, I have wrapped the rope around the prop. I had a knife, but the dive mask was not on board. As I'm swimming to help my son get his skis back to the boat, one of the jet skiers pulls up to him, pulls him on board, and takes him and the skis back to the boat. I ask for a tow and he obliges. I offer him a little gas money for the short trip to the ramp and he declines. Then, despite my saying many thanks and that I have it from here, they swim the boat the last 15 yards or so to the ramp while I back the trailer. One of them even helps winch it on.

These guys were good guys. I told them we'd be glad to have them in the ski club and pull them through the course whenever. One of them says he's a wakeboarder. I say, "fine, we have some of those, too." It's easy to get frustrated when hobbies collide like towed sports and jet skis. But be nice. They are just enjoying the water, too. And you might need a tow.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
well said easttx.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I had one of the girls down in the water one time and a couple of jet skis went flying right at her. I was thinking "What in Hades are these guys doing?" About that time they pulled up around her "protecting" her from boat traffic. There weren't many boats in the area, but I appreciated their good intentions.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
East Texas,
I have to agree with you that there are some jet skiers who are top flight people. I have had a similar experience over the years. I am only willing to be unhappy with the ones who follow a skier or run too close to my boat in an effort to have a wake to jump. These are usually the younger set who don't know water rules or are dumb enough to ignore them.

I say, like you, let's give them all the breaks we can. They may one day have the money to buy a MC. Then they are likely to feel this same way. If we don't spend our time bugging them they will perhaps learn to not irritate others. What say TT?

Last edited by SSMoose; 05-12-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Sorry for the double post! I still haven't mastered all I need to master here.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Having just sold my two skis to get the MC I have to say some of us are well behaved on them! It's all about the attitude of the driver. If I was wake jumping I would never get close to anyone pulling someone and I would always stay away from their paths to keep the lines clean for them.

But then there are those idiots on them as well that gave us all bad names!!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Doug, I am sorry to hear you fell and hit your head today. Get well soon.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 PM
MC Hero

There are idiots with ski boats and there are idiots with jet skis. I have encountered both. I'm just glad I didn't prejudge these guys, even if they did mess up my water a bit before I buggered up my son's ski rope. I have helped out a lot of stranded boaters. Glad karma came back around like it should.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king View Post
Doug, I am sorry to hear you fell and hit your head today. Get well soon.
I'll be alright. I'm just glad my prop survived the hit. I also learned that much like removing mileage from old Ferraris, the rope does not become untangled when you gun it in reverse. I had to check to be sure though. The sound of the handle hitting the hull ever so firmly was my answer.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
There ate a lot of good people out there. Skiers, jet skiers, fishermen and even wake boarders. I have seen them all help somebody out.

Actually the biggest a-hole in the area I ski is a fellow water skier.