Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 09-03-2004, 05:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Prostar 190, LTR
Send a message via MSN to kcd
Custom Cover...

I'm looking at getting a custom cover for my '02 Prostar 190 (boat came with the crappy dealer universal cover that is worth a damn). Wondering if anyone could share their experiences / give advice to me with regard to the covers they have (factory installed vs custom ordered, happy trailering, water resistance, etc...)
Old 09-03-2004, 05:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I have a cover that I bought from www.skiboatcovers.com (Not affiliated with them in any way just a happy customer) They make custom cover for any ski boat. Mine is Sunbrella, trailerable, fits like a glove and is very well made. Price was also darn good and shipped to my door in less than a week. They do a really nice cover in any color you want. Here is mine. I know it is a boring color but I wanted something that wouldn't show the dirt since it lives outside.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Thumbs up

That is a nice cover Brian

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 09-04-2004, 09:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
I had a custom cover made for my X30 specifically for towing. I have a couple of pictures posted in my gallery so take a look. The MC cover that came with the boat is a mooring/storage cover and not made for towing. With a properly fitted cover, you will not have any problems towing with the cover on, or experience any gelcoat wear or marking. I've towed with mine for 3 years, over 1000 miles a year, with no issues. A couple of things to keep in mind...a tight fit is critical, especially around the side/rubrail to prevent to much air from getting in. Look at my pics or the covers in the website mentioned in the post above and you will see a tight fit. The 1" nylon straps will scratch the gelcoat if they touch it, so use softer bungee cords. I read in a different post someone using tennis balls to keep the straps off and thought that was a great idea! A custom cover will be fitted to a boat, eliminating excess material that is simply draped across large areas. This is where you get the parachute affect while towing. Lastly, the cover needs to be properly padded on the inside a key touch points (e.g., windshield frame, corners) to prevent gelcoat wear. My cover is Sunbrella and cost about $700. While expensive, I wouldn't tow without it. Keeps the road and exhaust grime out of the boat, keeps it dry in the rain and prevents anything that may work loose from flying out.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Brian,
That cover fits great... I'll look at them to pick one up for my 86.
Curious, does it come with the support poles? Looks like the "water-line" cover is the way to go. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:04 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Tom,

Yes it came with the support poles and waterline cover is the only way to go if you have to store the boat outside. The poles actually snap to the underside of the cover so they are easy to put up. The only thing I had them do diferent was sew the life jacket style buckles to the cover and make the tie down straps. He normally just does loops so you can use rope or bungies. I wanted the ease of use of the buckles so I could just click them on and one firm pull and it is tight. I am very happy with the set up. I think they charged me like $20 extra but well worth it.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Brian, Did you have to provide the "buckels"? I keep my boat in a covered area... but like the fact of having the extra protection once I complete the restoration. They also told me that the "water line" cover extends to cover the teak swim platform... That's nice as well..
There is a shop near by that I will get an estimate from... but, it appears your contact has made a few of these. Have a good one.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcd
I'm looking at getting a custom cover for my '02 Prostar 190 (boat came with the crappy dealer universal cover that is worth a damn). Wondering if anyone could share their experiences / give advice to me with regard to the covers they have (factory installed vs custom ordered, happy trailering, water resistance, etc...)
Make sure you get one that fits tight (very, very tight) and the straps do not make contact with the hull. I have seen those straps rub through the gel coat. I have one that was custom made and have not had any damage. It was so tight when I got it I thought it was to small but has worked out perfect. It also doubles as a mooring cover as the snaps are on the underside of the rob rail. Photos are in my gallery.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: PS190
factory cover

In my opinion, for an 02 190, the factory covers like the tournament team boats have are unbeatable.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I bought a cover from Overtons, Sunbrella, made for the specific boat, trailers well, just under $200. They are having a sale now, the same cover is $180.