Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-05-2013, 08:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
New Tires for Acura

Hey guys,

I have an 07 Acura TL and was wondering if you might have suggestions for new tires. I haven't done all the searches on Discount tire or Tirerack yet, but wanted to see if maybe you guys were having really good success out of a particular brand/style on a fwd vehicle right now.

Right now it has Bridgestone Turanza's on it (235/45/17) but they haven't held up real well. Only about 35K miles. I'm wanting something that will give me 60K but don't know if that's possible with this car.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
I would start at Tirerack and read all of the reviews. A friend of mine purchased four new Michelins from Sams club for his Honda Accord and those lasted him 60k miles. I dont remember what model of tire it was.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I put Michelins on my son's Acura TSX (not sure which tire from Michelin) and so far so good. I've always had good luck with Michelin tires on my trucks. Look at the treadwear rating when you shop around....the higher number the better. Look for traction "A" and temperature "A" ratings. Always rotate your tires every 6K miles and get your alignment checked on a regular basis.

Tire Rack reviews help a lot too.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Hey guys,

I have an 07 Acura TL and was wondering if you might have suggestions for new tires. I haven't done all the searches on Discount tire or Tirerack yet, but wanted to see if maybe you guys were having really good success out of a particular brand/style on a fwd vehicle right now.

Right now it has Bridgestone Turanza's on it (235/45/17) but they haven't held up real well. Only about 35K miles. I'm wanting something that will give me 60K but don't know if that's possible with this car.

Turanza are a softer, sportier compound so long tread life is the trade off, you got good mileage for that tire. Food for thought, just because a tire lasts 80,000 miles does not mean it's a good tire, the trade off is usually alot of road noise and a harsher ride because the compound is so hard. I would actually recommend mastercraft tires they seem to be doing well on my customers cars, good tread life with minimum road noise at a good value for price. We've been selling them for a couple years. I'm unsure if they have a tire for your size though. Michelin or Continental would be my next choices.

@jerseydave tire wear number is not a linear match to other brands ie a michelin with 600 does not mean a bridgestone with the same number will last as long, the number is a measurement within the same brand, but having said that it's a good layman indicator.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 05-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

You definitely don't want an 80,000 treadwear tire on a TSX unless you drive it like a girl. Soft sticky rubber means lower treadwear but more fun / safety if you drive more agressively. There is no free lunch - buy tires more frequently, drive less aggressively, or spin off the side of the road with hard "green" tires... pick one.

I've been in pickups and SUVs for years, my last sporty car I ran michelin performance tires and they were very good, tirerack is always a great source of info and i buy from there.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
Quote:
Hey guys,

I don't know if this would help you out any, but I'm the parts manager for an Acura dealer. We have a set of take off 2013 TL wheels/tires sitting on the shelf. They were taken off a new TL last week that we preloaded with 19" wheel/tires for the showroom, and have less than 10 miles on them. Here is a link to the craigslist add my counter guys posted.

http://houston.craigslist.org/ptd/3762553535.html

PM me if you are interested. I can cut you a good deal on them. The shipping might be expensive though.

Last edited by gts-20; 05-06-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
I'm not sure how those would look on an 07. It rides pretty low and might look funny with the larger tires.

I appreciate all the responses. I'm still searching and looking around.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
I'm not sure how those would look on an 07. It rides pretty low and might look funny with the larger tires.

I appreciate all the responses. I'm still searching and looking around.
gts-20 tires are 1.3" taller and .4" wider, it'll fill out wheel well. lol

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 MASTERCRAFT PRO STAR 190
We Put Michelins On My Wifes Acura Tl...glad I Did!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 MASTERCRAFT PRO STAR 190
HERE IS A TIRE SIZE CALCULATOR..VERY HANDY IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE SIZE FROM STOCK. IT SHOWS YOU THE STOCK TIRE VS. THE NEW SIZE

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html