Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
I do epoxy floors for a living. Everything said above is correct. Your concrete has failed due to a bigger issue than just freeze/thaw. It looks like you have either expansive soils, improper compaction, slab to thin, concrete mix improper...the list could go on and on. There is really nothing that will fix that other than to tear it out and start over. If you are looking for something cheap to make it look a little better I would recommend a good degreaser to get the oil and grease out of the slab and a cheap porch paint. You will still have problems with the concrete and coating, but it may look a little better for a few years at least.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Agreed on porch paint, really its so cheap you can throw some more on it, skip the compounds, you might be able to level the broken concrete with a roller or compactor.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Reminds me of another guy who wanted a level floor to work on his motorcycles, leveled up plywood sheeting, nailed it to the floor with a ramjet nailer, then followed up with those garage floor tiles glued down.

Pretty nice result, fairly inexpensive.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS197
Thanks for the advice everyone! Bummed I can't just level it, I like the idea of degreaser and then porch paint, this is a starter home after all and don't plan to be here forever.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Yeah drop in some of those rubber garage tiles.
Or pull it out and re pour.
If you paint it and it gets wet then it will be very slickery. Yes slickery.

Agree on tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Also, porch paint will peel sooner rather than later where your tires go on it. If the concrete gets wet, expect it to peel, particularly if it's ground water coming up.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
If you paint it and it gets wet then it will be very slickery. Yes slickery.

Agree on tiles
Yeah epoxied the floors in the garage and shop. Should see when the kids forget and come flyin in on their bikes when it's wet ! Usually pile up against the wall!
No paint gonna fix that floor.
Good point though. That floor is pretty cracked up. Might not bust out too bad with just a sledge

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
One of those big car-sized rubber mats or two if your garage is that deep. It won't be "slickery", it will look nice and you can take them with you when you go.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Just bust it out. Sledge will break that up quick. Crete is cheap. Your foundation walls can act like the frame. Throw down a little stone where needed. Compact it down. Then fill it up with new Crete. No saw joints just joint it with a finishing joint. Expansion the edges, throw in some wire or rebar. You're talking one days work and around $500 and its done. Or spend half a day. And $100 and it last for a year. 0.02

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft x45
Number one question asked "why does concrete crack"

There is many different types of concrete cracks.

If cracks appear shortly after placement (12 hour to 36 hours) they are considered "drying cracks" (although concrete does not "dry" the hardening is a chemical reaction). This happens because the mix water is evaporating and hence creating less volume in the concrete creating cracks. These cracks are using only surface cracks and are using filled with paste during power troweling. They can reappear later but are only super fiscal and pose limited to no concern for epoxy or cement based topping coats.

If they appear 36 hours to 28 days later usually this is plastic shrinkage cracks (caused by chemical reaction in the concrete along with evaporation of mix water). Typically saw cuts are used to create a controlled and visually pleasing crack. (ensure saw cuts are 1/3 depth of slab). If you would rather not saw cut there are ways to reduce your risk of cracking for a typical garage floor (20X24). WET CURE, nothing is better for concrete then to be flooded and keep wet for at least 7 days. When we do bridge decks we wet cure until full design strength is reached (28 days to 56 days) same with ice rinks.

NOW what you are dealing with is not a concrete issue at all. Your sub base was not compacted correctly and you sir have sub base failure. Is this a big concern, short answer NO your house is not going to fall down (unless your footings move highly unlikely). If this was a warehouse with automated fork lifts then this would be a disaster.

Option one remove slab. My preferred method is to use a gas walk behind saw and cut the slab out by pieces. I just hate the jack hammer and the walk behind is very easy to use. Rental rates will dictate your method. Rent a large compactor and cycle 3 times between wet and dry compacting. Put down welded wire mess but also use pyramids or bricks to hold the mesh off the ground and in the middle of the slab. NOW for the trick. Call up your local Ready Mix supplier and ask for Self Consolidating concrete (I work for Lafarge and we offer a product called Agilia (R) youtube it pretty unreal stuff). Follow the directions and pour it. You will be very happy with the finished product.

Option 2 top the floor for levelness and then cover with rubber tiles, carpet, etc (I would stay away from any mortar based tiles as the floor is still going to move and the cracks will come though the tiles). The concrete will still crack and you have not solved the main issue but it is a very viable low cost low effort option.

Option 3 (Which one of my customers recently did) removed only the area that had sunken. Compacted the subbase, drilled dowels into the existing slab and used 14mm rebar tied together at 16 inches. He order 35mpa concrete with poly fiber and re poured area. Wet cured for 7 days. He then rented a floor grinder and smoother out the entire floor. Followed by decorative saw cutting and acid staining. Came out really nice. Only time will tell how long it lasts but for then next 10 years it will be great.

Once again consult your local concrete supplier. Ask what they suggest and

Eric