Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X30
Kids Surf boards

Looking for a good surf board for my two daughters (8 and 11). They already wakeboard fine but want to surf with mom and dad. Tried the phase 5 scamp but it was to slippery. Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-04-2013, 12:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Smaller is better for lightweight kids. Try anything 4'4"-4'6" long.

You can contact Brock at Doomswell boarding. I know he has made some custom boards for kids. They are around $500-$700 depending on how custom. He can put in as many fins as you need. He uses futures fins too so changing it up will be easy to get them from any surfshop.

He is making me a custom 4'5" right now.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-04-2013, 12:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
might try getting in touch with woon. he sells a few different brands of boards and can give you a good idea of what to look for.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
You'll run into two problems for kids boards... The boards that are the least slippery and have the largest fins to aid in tracking tend to be larger with too much flotation for kids to get up easily. The boards that are low enough in flotation for the kids to dig their heels in and flip the board to their feet to get up tend to be skim style board which slide out from under kids when they don't yet know how to edge and control the board.

You may have to go with the smallest surf style board you can find, make sure it has large fins, and then really work in the start technique as the board will probably float too well for an easy standard start.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X30
Thanks. I have an inland swallow v2 and thought the ooze would be good with the quad fin. Nor sure though. May be too buoyant.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcanada View Post
Thanks. I have an inland swallow v2 and thought the ooze would be good with the quad fin. Nor sure though. May be too buoyant.
It might be buoyant enough to cause a couple problems... depends how persistent your kids are trying different techniques. My kids struggled with a Blue Lake until they were 12-13, but my kids also are prone to giving up at the first hint of failure.

The trick will be getting the board's trailing edge to sink just enough to get the board to flip up and stick to the bottoms of their feet without having to hold the board with one hand. It will take some effort on their part and coordination with the driver. Especially while learning, most kids struggle keeping the board perpendicular to the boat so it's a real balance between the driver moving quickly enough to keep the kid from getting sideways and moving slowly enough to not surprise them or pull them off balance.